A Passion for Running

Welcome to the home of Mark aka The Running Blogfather – a 40 year-old dad, husband and marathon runner who's beaten injury and is on the comeback trail!

random ruminations

passion for running category: running on Thursday, August 25 2011

So, since I’m into my fourth consecutive week’s worth of running, last night I thought it might be fun to take along my Garmin (gps speed+distance+googlemap device). Here is what I learned:

1. I will not be setting any world records in the mile or marathon anytime soon.
  2. I now have a brand new benchmark for “slow”… I can only get faster!
  3. On the plus side, I’m definitely almost as fast as a three year old riding a Playskool tricycle.
  4. I think I look exceptionally bad-ass with two days stubble and a run’s worth of sweat dripping down my face.
  5. Upon removal of my running shirt, bad-ass illusion is replaced with that of a sweaty, mutant Pillsbury Doughboy.
Kidding aside, my long runs are now six miles… not bad after less than a month being back at this.

16 Comments »

Comment by Linda

Friday August 26, 2011 @

You totally crack me up – I would lay money that my benchmark for slow would eclipse yours :)

My favorite running shirt (with a saying on it) says “I know, I’m slow, Get Over It”

Happy Trails!

Comment by deene

Wednesday September 14, 2011 @

glad that you are back running. liking your photos on FB as well.

Comment by Chad Dixon

Friday September 23, 2011 @

Great site! Are you coming back from an injury or just starting to run again?

Comment by Joe Quarta

Friday October 21, 2011 @

I always wear sweat shirts when working out, that always keeps my mind and my prying eyes off my waistline!

Comment by Kevin Groh

Saturday October 22, 2011 @

Glad to know you are back running. I am currently at the same point after a long layoff of 3 months due to injury. Going for a 6 mile long run this week.

Comment by Kimmy Cushman

Sunday October 23, 2011 @

i love the garmin. great to use when your going fast.. not going slow.. haha but great getting back into it :)

Comment by Pedro Jima

Thursday July 19, 2012 @

Amazing, how you can run at such a quick speed. I really wish that i could do that as well!

Comment by Carl

Thursday July 19, 2012 @

You sure have a good sense of humor! I kept laughing and felt the same way when I read number 4 and 5, being a runner myself. I am quite amazed that you can run 6 miles with less than a month of running. I have just started running myself and it sure is difficult to get used to. I plan on investing on my own running gadgets. I might as well invest on this new hobby so that it would keep me from quitting.

Comment by Jenna

Tuesday August 07, 2012 @

Good Job! Keep it Up!

Comment by Cait the Arty Runnerchick

Tuesday October 23, 2012 @

awesome that u’re back running! ya, it can be a cold slap of reality those first weeks back but u know good old muscle memory kicks in and u’ll be improving…keep it up!

Comment by Jamie Reynolds

Monday October 29, 2012 @

So what do you think about these running shoes? I just saw this Reebok commercial with J.Sparks, Lil Rel, and Ruben Studdard and they look really hip and comfortable. I know you cover heels, but I couldn’t stop thinking ‘WOW’ when I saw the commercial http://bit.ly/ZigLite

Comment by Charlene Ragsdale

Friday January 11, 2013 @

Great attitude! My 2012 was sub-par and I know 2013 will be so much better, because I can’t get any slower than I was in 2012.

Comment by Andy Green

Tuesday April 30, 2013 @

I like your attitude and commitment. For too many people giving up in adversity seems to be the easy answer. Congratulations on your achievements. 6 miles after just 4 weeks back is pretty good.

Comment by The Runner

Sunday May 05, 2013 @

After a 6 week break from running, I started running again last week. I ran 4 days straight. Feels good to be back!

Comment by Anne

Wednesday August 07, 2013 @

Great site! I am just getting back into my training after being sick. Stop by my blog sometime. http://www.asicsmom.com. Have a great day!

Comment by jpsmith1964jeff

Wednesday November 27, 2013 @

Good Article – i relate to this “Upon removal of my running shirt, bad-ass illusion is replaced with that of a sweaty, mutant Pillsbury Doughboy.”
Jeff

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI
A blue box by your comment means you do not have an avatar from www.gravatar.com!