A Passion for Running

Welcome to the home of Mark aka The Running Blogfather – a 40 year-old dad, husband and marathon runner who's beaten injury and is on the comeback trail!

i’m in my manic phase

passion for running category: complete running on Friday, January 11 2008

The poor, poor members of the CRN (writing) team – they’ve had to put up with an endless stream of emails where I go on and on and on about all the cool stuff we’re building over at completerunning.

Something Jeanne has learned very well (and that even I have only recently come to understand) is that I only have two gears – full out and dead stop.

I am definitely a manic-depressive sort of character when it comes to my passions and work. I go through periods where I am inexaustible. Periods where I am up till 2:00 a.m. night after night. Periods where I have to keep a notebook so I don’t lose all of the ideas that flow into my mind in wave after wave of creative nirvana. Periods where noone can keep up to me. These periods generally last for a month or so and then…

…it all comes crashing down and I am utterly useless.

Then, I rest up (sometimes for as much as a month), rinse and repeat.

When it comes to non-running stuff, I am not a marathoner – I do not know pacing.

And I’m ok with that – it’s mostly nice to have figured out how “I am”.

But I imagine it must be hard to be around me. If that last statement rings a bell (Jeanne?), I apologize.

As the Scorpion said to the frog, “It’s in my nature“.

Some day soon, I will start talking about running again. I just needed to get this off my chest.

21 Comments »

Comment by Ling

Friday January 11, 2008 @

We all know that running is more mental than physical. Without it, we have no drive, no endurance, and become lazy and useless and wthout ambition. For me as well, running is a constant fight not of pain of the physical part of me, but what i am thinking that surrounds it. Every part of life is affected by running. You are a wonderful example to we fellow runners in this.

On the other hand it keeps your blog from sounding like a redundant training schedule…its kinda like a diary, no?

Comment by Andrew Seeley

Friday January 11, 2008 @

Yes, yes. I want my runner back…

Comment by Karen in Calgary

Friday January 11, 2008 @

Lovin’ all the new upgrades at CRN! The RBF will be so much more useful when it’s all categorized for searching. Woohoo!

On the running blogging part – some of us are more manic with that than others. That’s what feed readers are for, eh? Just don’t let me see you on Jon’s dead blog list…

Comment by jeanne

Saturday January 12, 2008 @

Now, if only we could get in sync…

I feel like the tortoise…but, well, you know how that story turned out! :)

I think all geniuses must have their manic phases. If it wasn’t for you, Mark, nothing would ever change!

Comment by Linda

Saturday January 12, 2008 @

Ya did good!

Comment by Gretchen

Sunday January 13, 2008 @

OMG! The Rinning Blogfather laughed at my comment on Susan’s page…I am so excited!!! I should run more.

Comment by Soozan

Monday January 14, 2008 @

It’s looking so great Mark! I love all the changes.

Comment by Gretchen

Monday January 14, 2008 @

Opps! not Rinning….Running….

Comment by Robb

Wednesday January 16, 2008 @

Nice job with the changes Mark. I like your all or nothing style. Cool.

Comment by Lana

Thursday January 24, 2008 @

I read a comment somewhere that said: When something big gets accomplished – it is because things get done…by a monomaniac on a mission!

Welcome to the club! lol

P.S. get a digital recorder so you don’t loose your ideas. These things are tiny, cheap and so handy…especially when you’re too done to get out of bed in the middle of the night when the inspiration suddenly strikes!

Comment by The Runner Chick

Saturday January 26, 2008 @

Thanks for the comment. I’m really impressed with your site, btw. I’ll look into joining the network.

Comment by Mom On The Run

Monday January 28, 2008 @

I’m a bit like that too – been up to 11:30 pm most nights ever since hubby bought me a new laptop. I’ve never blogged so much in my life!

Comment by Ben

Wednesday January 30, 2008 @

Mark, I’m inspired my your maniacal nature! I’m going to start running in this -27 degree weather and then I’m going to…wait…no…back to my resting stage. Phew, that was close.

Comment by TheRuNNeRChIcK

Friday February 01, 2008 @

I used to tell my friends I was a “binge and purger of life” …all or nothing. I focus so intensely on goal and when I get there I want to celebrate by not focusing in that area and moving on to something else for a while.. or by just not doing anything.

I’m trying to work on being more steady, but since I’m such a highly passionate person about most things I do in life, I find it hard to be mechanical and steady 365 days a year! “It’s in my nature too”, I suppose.

I hope you’re back bloggin’ again soon! Your site is great!

Comment by Scott

Wednesday February 06, 2008 @

Wow!

You guys, you dedicated loooong term runners are a real inspiration. I have only just started running for the first time; I have never been into running but I am trying to get into it before i hit 40!
I am using my blog as a personal journal (http://lastdayrunner.blogspot.com/) and motivator and all is going well so far.
One day i may do a marathon – (omg :o)
Take care and keep up the great blog!
Scott

Comment by Juls

Sunday February 24, 2008 @

I hear you.

Comment by Juls

Sunday February 24, 2008 @

It’s my nature too…sometimes.

Comment by Bruce

Monday September 08, 2008 @

Dude, you are so NOT the running blogfather. Please stop saying that. I do applaud your efforts. But come on.

Comment by Mark

Monday September 08, 2008 @

Hi Bruce,

You know what? You are right. I am not. I once was, but a lot has happened since then.

Perhaps we should have a contest to see who should be the next blogfather/mother. Do you deserve a nomination? Please let my readers (few as they now are) know why.

Oh, you may want to leave them a valid URL to your blog so they can judge for themselves.

Comment by Jon (was) in Michigan

Monday September 08, 2008 @

Bruce also needs to leave his comments in a recent thread instead of trying to bury them in an old post.

Angry much, “Bruce”? LOL!

Comment by Mom On The Run

Monday September 08, 2008 @

Apparently Bruce is missing some of the background and history behind the running blogfather story.

Visit me @ http://www.momontherun.net

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI
A blue box by your comment means you do not have an avatar from www.gravatar.com!