Posted by Filed Under: Photos

Are you a fairweather runner? If the temperatures dropped to below -30C or -22F would you still run? Well Saturday, 56 runners in Calgary did just that as they competed in the Nose Hill Cross Country 4/8k Race. The runners believe it or not, ranged in age from 6 to over 70. The great thing about a small crowd is it meant some who don’t normally win won the event. It also meant there was enough soup for most to have thirds after and most did. đŸ˜‰

Just how cold was it, well a picture is worth a thousand words and I think this one says it all.

2008-02-11-coldday.jpg

You can see other such frigid pictures over at my Flicker site as this is from my very own collection. Yes, I was one of those 56 crazy runners. You can also read more on my blog.

We are always looking for interesting photos to feature here. Got one of your own or found a great running shot on the web somewhere, then leave us the details in a comment.

Recent Posts from this Author’s Blog
    [rsslist:http://completerunning.com/dawn-on-the-run/?feed=rss2]

About Dawn - Pink Chick

For several years the only running I did was to run the annual 10k race in the spring. I got my best time when I ran hungover on only a few hours sleep. Finally one year I decided maybe I should really pick up running again on a regular basis and attended a running clinic. After finishing the 10k that year I continued to train and ran my first half marathon. That was in 2002. Later in 2002 I moved to Calgary where my running friends nick-named me Pink Lady, Pinko, Pinky and finally Pink Chick simply because I almost always wore pink when I ran. Truth be known I wear it almost all the time. I ran, well mostly walked, my first marathon in 2003. Since then I've run a ton of shorter 5/10k races, 9 half marathons and I added a second marathon in 2007 when I ran the San Diego RnR Marathon. Today I still run. I'm slow but I'm still out there and lovin' it. Someday I hope to join the Triathlon world.

1. Nora on February 11th at 7:08 am

That is too cold. Way, way, WAY too cold!!

2. Duff on February 11th at 7:29 am

I gotta say I thought I was hardcore in my 10F weather running 16. I cannot imagine that cold. It would probably motivate me to run faster just to get inside. No need for a cool down, I guess.

3. Mom On The Run on February 11th at 7:58 am

Way to go! It’s ONLY -18C here but I’m still planning on bundling up my 7 month old in my jogging stroller for a chilly run. I’m like the postal service – nothing will stop me! Maybe I can convince a neighbour to take our pic?

4. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on February 11th at 9:14 am

That ain’ warm…

Wowsers. And here I thought it was tough running in 10 inches of snow as it melts and gets soft for 3 hours…

5. Mark Iocchelli on February 11th at 9:22 am

We definitely put up with a lot during the winter months. Good job, Dawn!

On the other side of the equation, the folks on the south certainly have more extreme hot temperatures than we do.

6. crossn81 on February 11th at 4:46 pm

Yea… I ran this morning knowing it would be sub-zero (f) but didn’t realize it was -7 with -17 wind chill… oops… but I passed other runners and some bikers (commuting to work) so I guess we aren’t the only crazy ones. Too much colder and I’m definitely inside!

7. Dawn - Pink Chick on February 11th at 6:05 pm

Well the cold weather may not bring out a lot of runners but it did bring out the comments. We runners are sometimes a crazy bunch running through heat, cold, rain, hail and much more.

Myself I am looking forward to running tonight as it has now warmed up to a balmy 0C thanks to our great Chinooks.