share his music playlist. I find this a very bold move, afterall musical tastes are very personal. But then he offered us a challenge:" />

Running to The Beat

Posted by Filed Under: Music/MP3/Playlists

adyearend.jpgLast week Mark was kind enough to open up to us and share his music playlist. I find this a very bold move, after all musical tastes are very personal. But then he offered us a challenge:

What do you run to? Share your playlists by leaving me a comment below.

Never one to back away from a challenge, be it running, motherhood, or life in general, I commented and offered to share my playlist. Uh oh. Like training for a marathon, once you tell someone that you’re going to do it, you better put actions to your words and do it. So here it is: My playlist. I call it “Running to The Beat.”

It’s a collection of songs that motivate me to run. An all-dance collection of songs that I’ve heard on the radio recently. Not only do these songs have a quick tempo that encourage me to run a little bit harder and faster, they also motivate me to run even when I’m not running! You see, when I’m cruising to the grocery store with my kids and any one of these songs come on the radio, memories of my most recent runs come to my mind making me all nostalgic and giddy and craving my next run, and therefore motivating me to run yet again and what can be better than that?

About Janice Smith

Janice is a 30-something wife, mother, employee, runner, softball player, internet addict and a completely obsessed New Kids On The Block fan.w She has two daughters, 3 year old Sierra and 1 year old Brooke. She lives near Toronto, ON Canada and has just recently returned to running after having her second darling daughter. You can follow her journey back into running, and her journey through motherhood on her blog: Mom On The Run

1. Mark Iocchelli on January 28th at 1:37 pm

You’re much more hip than I am! Great list!

2. Don on January 28th at 2:13 pm

Sing (Dean Coleman Silent Sound Radio Edit) – Annie Lennox
    Waiting For (Hi Tack Mix) – Peter Gelderblom
    Hot – Avril Lavigne
    When You’re Gone – Avril Lavigne
    valerie – amy winehouse
    about you now – sugababes
    hot stuff lets dance – craig david
    in the ghetto – elvis presley
    Good Life – Kanye West (ft. T-Pain)
    Let’s Dance To Joy Division – The Wombats
    Real Love (Main Mix) – Doc Da Funk
    Waiting For (Hi Tack Mix) – Peter Gelderblom
    Some Kind Of Rush (Extended Mix) – Booty Luv
    Show Me Love (Safari Mix) – Mobin Master
    You Don’t Know (Hott 22 Remix) – Stonebridge
    Sunday Bloody Sunday – RX2008
    Golden Sky – IAMISEE
    everything is byte size – hotbitcharsenal
    I Can’t Wait – Andy Caldwell

3. jeff on January 28th at 3:01 pm

i like a little more aggressive track list when i run. here’s a sample of what is on my shuffle:

4. AJ on January 28th at 6:40 pm

I think I am the only runner in the universe that doesn’t run with an MP3 player. The only tunes I listen to on my runs are the ones going on in my head. 🙂

5. Mom on the Run! » Back On The Run on January 28th at 7:36 pm

[…] author on CompleteRunning.com.  Pretty cool, eh?  Here’s my first article: Running To The Beat.  I hope to contribute an article every week about women’s running, beginner’s […]

6. Duff on January 29th at 12:43 pm

I am more of a rock person. I like the the up tempo stuff that really motivates to stomp and stomp more. Those include:
    High Octane Salvation- The Dirtbombs
    The Metal-Tenacious D
    S@*t Luck – Modest Mouse
    Flagpole Sitta- Harvey Danger
    Superman-REM
    Smells like Teen Spirit-Nivana
    Smells like Nirvana- Wierd Al
    Are you gonna go my way- Lenny Kravitz
    Surf’n Thu-Kiddo
    Umass-Pixies
    Czar-Frank Black
    Go with the Flow-Queens of the Stone Age
    Peaches-Presidents of the United States of America
    Other stuff from the likes of Sonic Youth, Bad Brains, Blonde Redhead, Deerhoof, At the Drive In, Fishbone, Seven Nations, Radio Head, System of A Down, etc.

The odd part is I have few that fall out of this category like
    Taste of Honey-Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
    Superman Main Title theme
    Gonna Fly Now from the Rocky Movies
    Too Funky-George Michael

And the list goes on. I usually have about 8 hours of playlist that goes in circles while I run. The sad part is when I have memorized the playlist and know which song is next. When I do change things up I get confused when the next song is different than I thought it was going to be.

7. Hella Sound on April 8th at 9:58 am

@jeff @duff it’s so good to see Queens of the Stone Age on other folks’ playlists.

@Mom on the Run my wife would *love* your playlist.

Me, there are some Tool (“Parabola”, “Aenema”) songs that are really driving and totally psych me up if I start dragging. One of my favorite songs (I have it as my “Power Song” on my Nike+) is Faith No More’s “Surprise You’re Dead”–the odd feel to the rhythm has forward motion written all over it.

The company I’ve started (http://www.HellaSound.com) creates high-energy driving music for running–half-hour songs of different music styles available for download at different BPM to match your running tempo.

Were working on releasing the first songs in our catalog, and I can’t wait to get our stuff out there. I think folks’ll really like it. Come check us out!

Hella Sound’s last blog post..Nike+ SportBand: A Variation On A Good Thing

8. Hella Sound on April 8th at 10:02 am

Sorry to hog the comments here, but @Duff is *killing* me with the diversity of his tastes–Bad Brains and the Pixies (2 bands I saw in smallish clubs when I was a lad in Chicago) AND Herb Alpert! That’s genius!

Now I’m humming Spanish Flea to myself.

Hella Sound’s last blog post..Nike+ SportBand: A Variation On A Good Thing

9. atrusni on May 18th at 1:03 pm

I am trying to come out with the best way to share my playlist which consists of 53 songs. Almost all of them are alternative new indie rock.

I am trying to set up my playlist on http://www.lastfm.com, as soon as I have something, I will post it here.

Just to give you a little head start, the following artists are part of my playlist:

Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, Goldfrapp, Bloc Party

Regards

10. dianabanana on July 17th at 2:25 am

Nice name! Are you actually going to run in the Run to the Beat half marathon? I am! It sounds like a lot of fun. And you’re even allowed to wear Mp3 players!!! I haven’t decided if I’m going to yet cause I don’t want to miss all the cool live music. I loved your playlist I’m going to give it a go and see if it motivates me around the park. Haven’t been doing as much running as I should be lately!!! I’ll be posting my own blog at http://www.runtothebeat.co.uk if you’re interested 🙂

11. ILuvKanye on April 21st at 4:35 pm