Running Ads

Posted by Filed Under: Fun & Jokes, Inspiration & Motivation

Inventor Spot takes a look at 10 interesting sports ads, of which Nike’s “You’re faster than you think” campaign in Canada is one. Running ad campaigns that go beyond the trite or the commercial are rare, but they do exist.

Brooks’ Run World Run campaign was a hit in 2004, featuring this video (music by Chris Ballew from The Presidents of the United States of America).

Slightly older but equally expressive of running’s appeal was Adidas’ “Runners, Yeah We’re Different” campaign from 1999 and 2000. Mizuno followed that up with a similar but smaller print campaign.

What other running advertisements do you find interesting or inspirational?

About Adeel

Adeel is a 21-year old student living in Canada. He has been running for eight years and has personal bests of 17:44 for 5k, 36:38 for 10k, 1:26 for a half marathon and 3:10 for a marathon.

1. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on November 13th at 8:40 am

That’s a great ad!

Thanks for the link to the “Yeah, we’re different” images. I hadn’t seen a few of those, and I was a huge fan of that campaign when they came out.

I also loved the Nike ad where all of the hung over runners are out for their run at the millennium while the world is going to hell in a hand basket. That one was pretty funny.

The Suzy Hamilton ad where she is in a cabin and a guy with a hockey mask and a chain saw chases her through the woods but she gets away is great. That was also around 2000 I think? It was scheduled to air twice during the super bowl, but the feminists called the station and complained about the woman winning out and the ad got pulled.

2. Adeel on November 13th at 10:25 am

The Suzy Hamilton ad was really good. I didn’t know who she was, so it seemed that much more real to me.

3. Matt on November 13th at 11:20 am

Never saw the Adidas print campaign in 1999, but thanks for the link. Those are absolutely brilliant. I think my fave would be the nipple bandaids one! :)

Matt
    majarun.wordpress.com

4. Adeel on November 13th at 5:56 pm

Jeanne also brought up the Pearl Izumi “We are not joggers” campaign, which inspired me about as much as Snickers’ Marathon energy bar. Note that the latter sponsors a marathon in Albany, GA called, what else, the SNICKERS┬« MARATHON┬« Energy Bar marathon. Did I mention that it’s a marathon?

The year has been something of a low for running ads. The Pearl Izumi campaign was a not-so-subtle dig at Rbk’s “Run Easy” idea, which I didn’t like either.

5. thodarumm on November 14th at 2:33 am

Thanks! I loved these.

6. Jeanne on November 14th at 6:56 am

Here’s the Pearl Izumi link.

grrr.

love the adidas ads–never saw those before!

7. 120mm fan : on October 31st at 7:57 pm

energy bars gives me the energy i need specially during heavy workouts ”