Shhhh! There’s a Baby in the House

Posted by Filed Under: Inspiration & Motivation, Running Tips

Things you can do when you have a new baby in the house, and she stops you from running (babies have that power):

• Buy a jogging stroller. It will take a few months until she’s big enough to go in it, but you can immediately start dreaming about your quality time together.
  • Rest. Remember, recovery is important.
  • Stretch. You can be three feet away from her and still get a perfectly good stretching session done.
    Sleep. Any time. Any place.
  • Keep carrying her. Carry a baby around all day and you’ll develop the biceps of a gorilla. That’s got to be good for running, right?
  • Don’t plan for races in case she’ll stop you from training properly. Running without a race in mind can be fun and liberating.
  • Don’t forget where your priorities will be for the next few weeks/months/years.

In case you’re wondering why I’m so baby-centric all of a sudden, here she is: Baby Maia, born on 2 November 2007:
maia400.jpg

maia2_1.jpg

About Thomas Bubendorfer

I started running in 2004 with the goal to complete the Dublin marathon. After finishing a few minutes above 4 hours I got ambitious and decided to break the 4 hours barrier, which took two more marathons and a few painful experiences. By then I was fully hooked to running and decided to see how good a runner I could become. In the meantime I have managed to lower my best marathon time to 3:09, and I'm aiming for the sub-3 hours target. I have also fallen in love with ultra running, and despite an egregious lack of ultras in Ireland have plans for a few longer adventures over the next couple of years.

1. Huw on November 6th at 8:37 am

Many congratulations! My little angel has recently celebrated her 2nd birthday and during the last two years (which have flown by!) i’ve learned: babyjoggers are all well and good, but running solo is better; if you talk to her about it enough she will soon know ‘daddy goin’ runnin” and pretending to do it herself, all positive for the future; sometimes spending time with her is much better than running; sometimes running is great stress relief (hey, it’s not always sunbeams and cooing noises).
    Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Huw, http://www.runflux.com for your daily dose of running news and links

2. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on November 6th at 9:31 am

Congratulations!

3. jeff on November 6th at 9:55 am

thomas, she’s beautiful. and the baby jogger is amazing. our little guy loves it and is content to go along for the ride for miles and miles.

4. 21stCenturyMom on November 6th at 11:26 am

Congratulations – she’s perfect!

5. Miguel on November 6th at 1:08 pm

Very, very cute!! Congratulations. Go with the jogging stroller and start when she is young, so it will seem just part of life.

6. Irene on November 7th at 1:05 am

Congratulations! Maia is so sweet!

I wish I had a jogger stroller when my children were little. I see parents ALL THE TIME with their children in the jogger strollers at the lake where I run sometimes, and these kids aren’t babies! That’s gotta be some workout!

7. Nic Fulton on November 7th at 3:42 pm

Congrats. I’ve been jogging with my two, son first, then daughter, and even jogged with the two in a Phil & Teds double stroller (which is a little bit awkward).

One great use for jogging strollers is that they big wheels and big wheelbase make them very effective in heavy snow, unlike most strollers that can’t hack it at all.

As a Manhattanite, without a car, this was essential in the bad winters to get around…

I love jogging with the kids, they give the running commentary, and my son tends to tell me off if I stop running to rest “daddy, keep running, keep running”. Nothing better than a 3 year old personal trainer…

8. Healthy Dose: Link Time!!! | Medicine, Cancer, Health Blog on January 7th at 1:47 pm

[…] let your new baby keep you from running — Complete […]

9. Healthy Dose: Link Time!!! | Health and Medical Information on January 7th at 3:55 pm

[…] let your new baby keep you from running — Complete […]

10. Mom On The Run on January 8th at 9:25 pm

Well as a new mom (again) of 6 month old Brooke I can add that although I have a double jogger/bike trailer, nothing beats getting out of the house right after nursing the baby and putting her to sleep. Congrats on the new baby and keep on running!