Your Bi-Weekly News Roundup!

Posted by Filed Under: News and Opinion

Battling Heat and Pollution

Anyone who has been to Beijing can tell you that the city is filthy. Traffic is a nightmare and the sky is perpetually gray. No wonder, then, that heat and pollution are two of the biggest concerns for athletes who are aiming to compete in the 2008 Olympics. The New York Times reported on how athletes prepare for competition in areas where air pollution is bad. Although we are nearing the end of summer, it’s always wise to reacquaint yourself with the basics of hydration. The Seattle Times outlines how much water you really need. A good rule of thumb: three to six ounces for every 20 minutes spent exercising.

Older Women, Faster Times

Gina Kolata of the New York Times explores why older women tend to beat younger women at road races. Why is it that younger men tend to be the overall winners in road races, while the female winner tends to be older? Check it out for yourself. I just looked at the finishing times for the Annapolis Ten Miler, one of the more popular races in the Washington area. The winner of the women’s 45-49 age group beat the women who won the 25-29, 30-34, and 35-39 age groups.

Share the Experience!

Part of the fun of running, riding, and other adventures is sharing the experience with others. The Los Angeles Times has some capsule reviews of small cameras and camcorders designed for use outside or underwater.

…or, Maybe Not

USA Today reports on “running bores,” those who yabber on about their recent exploits. They recap their latest races, they maintain Web sites devoted to running and they boast about personal records. You don’t know anyone like that, do you?

I’m Spry!

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes involves Kramer’s quest to become a ball boy at the U.S. Open. He outlasts all of the younger people at the tryout, only to cause havoc in the big match. The Wall Street Journal describes how a real ballperson prepares for the tournament. It’s not as easy at you might think!

1. Jeanne on September 4th at 10:19 am

nope,I can’t think of a single person who is a running bore!
    🙂

2. Jeanne on September 4th at 10:19 am

and gina kolata is a big fat liar.
    (just kidding, gina!)

3. Lisa on September 4th at 11:12 am

I suppose it’s different when you maintain a blog about your accomplishments. You’re not putting it in everyone’s faces, and those who want to comment are free to do so. I think it’s more for a sense of support than anything else.

4. Adeel on September 4th at 11:47 am

I used to write about all my runs and post the times from all my interval workouts, until I realized that not only did most of my friends not really care about how fast I ran an 8-mile easy run, but that even I didn’t care.

I love reading about running, it’s usually pretty boring to read about the intricate details of someone’s running. There are ways to make it very interesting, but posting numbers from a training log isn’t one.

5. kara on September 6th at 11:41 am

Re: Older Women…
    Master Female Runners Rock!

6. Nora on September 7th at 1:49 am

From the USA today article: “The more success real athletes have, Newton says, the less they talk about it.”

Does that rile anyone else up? I’d like to think she meant to say “professional” rather than “real” and did not mean to imply recreational or amateur athletes are not true athletes.

7. Piecesofme1 on September 14th at 5:19 pm

I think there are a few things WORSE than being a running bore.

RUNNING BORE – AND PROUD OF IT!