25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon

Posted by Filed Under: Famous/Celebrity Runners, Our Best Running Articles

Article Summary: A fun list and photos of actors, musicians, politicians, models and TV personalities who have run a marathon.

Actor Marathoners

meredith-baxter.jpg
Meredith Baxter, Family Ties, New York City Marathon
Joan ran her marathon in a very respectable 4:08:30. She’s gotta be a lot of people’s favorite TV moms. I think only Mrs. Cunningham from Happy Days is higher on my list. I think I like Joan even more than Mrs. C. now!
william-baldwin.jpeg
William Baldwin, New York City Marathon
In acting, he’s always been overshadowed by his brother Alec. But not as an athlete – this guy can really run. His 3:24:29 finish shows real talent!
anthony-edwards.jpg
Anthony Edwards, Chicago Marathon
A girl I once dated said I looked like Anthony. I guess that’s better than what some of my friends have said – that I look like Monty Burns. At any rate, Anthony Edward’s time of 3:55:40 is pretty darn good.
david-james-elliot.jpg
David James Elliott, JAG, Boston Marathon
This Canadian star of JAG with his buff body looks like he should have run faster than 4:57:23. What do you think?
will-ferrel.jpg
Will Ferrell, Boston Marathon
He’s funny and fit. With a finish time of 3:56:12, Will Ferrell is a-ok in my books.
mario-lopez.jpg
Mario López, Saved by the Bell, Boston Marathon
With a 5:41:41 finish time, I’m thinkin’ Mario was getting stopped along the way by a lot of female admirers – especially if he was running without a shirt.
joan-van-ark.jpg
Joan Van Ark, Santa Ana 1979
Ya know, I always hated Joan Van Ark. Knot’s Landing and her character in particular drove me crazy. I dunno, maybe it’s a guy thing? Anyway, I have to say that, with a finish time of 3:35:00, I may have to change my assessment of Joan because she obviously rocks.
peter-weller-robocop.jpeg
Peter Weller, New York City Marathon
Showing machine-like determination, the Robocop himself got it done in 3:51:26.
freddy-prinze.jpg
Freddie Prinze, Jr., Los Angeles Marathon
Ok, he’s young, he’s buff. What’s up with the 5:50:49? Freddy, stop stoppin’ for the girls and show us what you can do!

TV Personality Marathoners

danni-boatwright.jpg
Danni Boatwright, Winner: Survivor: Guatemala, Nashville Country Music Marathon
I’m thinking I might have to find Survivor Guatemala on DVD. Danni did Nashville in 4:23:24.
lisa-ling.jpg
Lisa Ling, formerly of The View, Boston Marathon
I hate The View (must be another guy thing) but I like Lisa. 4:34:18
oprah-winfrey.jpg
Oprah Winfrey, Marine Corps Marathon
CRNs Anne wrote about Oprah’s influence on marathoners here. Whatever you think about Oprah, you have to hand it to her – she followed through on her program, met her goal and inspired a generation to get off the couch. 4:29:20

Musician Marathoners

p-diddy.jpg
P. Diddy (Sean Combs), New York City Marathon
P. Diddy’s goal was to beat Oprah and he had his Victory with a time of 4:14:54. Not bad. Not bad at all.
david-lee-roth.jpg
David Lee Roth, former lead singer of Van Halen, New York City Marathon
David Lee Roth was my high school hero. I don’t know if I’ll ever forgive Eddie, Alex and Michael for dumping him from Van Halen. About his 6:04:43 finishing time? I pretty much guarantee he stopped to grope flirt with every girl along the way.
bjorn-ulvaeus.jpg
Björn Ulvaeus, former member of Swedish band ABBA, Stockholm Marathon. Those Swedes have always had a reputation for being fit. ABBA’s Bjorn Ulvaeus is an obviously perfect example. Wow! Color me impressed. 3:23:54! I wonder if his mother knows?

Athlete Marathoners

lance-armstrong.jpg
Lance Armstrong, Seven-time Tour de France champion and triathlete, New York City Marathon
Well, way too much has been written about Lance’s marathon debut. Anyone who can run a 2:59:36 is a pretty damn good runner in most people’s books. It remains to be seen just how good Lance can get. I guess we’ll get an idea when he runs his next marathon.
kerri-strug.jpg
Kerri Strug, Gymnast, Houston Marathon.
Who could forget Kerri’s unbelievable display of courage and determination when she finished her Olympic gymnastics routine on a busted up ankle? With that kind of courage she’s obviously made for marathons and 4:12:06 ain’t nothing to sneeze at.
lynn-swann.jpg
Lynn Swann, former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver, New York City
Lynn Swann was a true football great. What I like about his finishing time is it shows that great athletic achievement in one sport doesn’t necessarily equal greatness in another. His 4:26:21 finish = good but not great.

Politician Marathoners

george-bush.jpg
George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States, Houston Marathon
His 3:44:52 included the time he spent on the course searching for weapons of mass destruction – imagine if he’d just ran the damn thing.
michael-dukakis.jpg
Michael Dukakis, Former Governor of Massachusetts, Boston Marathon
I always thought he was kind of dweeby but, with a 3:31:00 finish time, there’s obviously more to him than meets the eye.
john-edwards.jpg
John Edwards, Former United States Senator, Marine Corps Marathon
Two politicians in a row in the 3:30s. John Edwards is a pretty good runner. I wonder if politicians make good runners because of the strong strong will and determination they develop from fighting all those long political battles? 3:30:18
al-gore.jpg
Al Gore, Vice President of the United States at the time, Marine Corps Marathon
Gore’s 4:58:25 isn’t very fast but at least he left a small environmental footprint while running it.
mikulas-dzurinda.jpg
Mikuláš Dzurinda, Prime Minister of Slovakia, Malokarpatsky Marathon
2:54:57! Wow! Mikulas is not just a runner – he’s an avid runner. With 13 marathons and a PR of 2:54:57, the Prime Minister of Slovakia puts his nation into Superpower status among all the other politicians. Not only that, he’s the fastest runner on this whole list – he even kicked Lance’s butt!

Model Marathoners

kim-alexis.jpg
Kim Alexis, model, New York City Marathon
Kim finished in 3:52:00. Ya know, I’ve always wanted to be a pace bunny for the 3:52:00 New York Marathon pace group.
ali-landry.jpg
Ali Landry, model, Boston Marathon
Ya know, I’ve also always wanted to be a pace bunny for the 5:41:41 Boston Marathon pace group.

On that last thought, if you know of any other models or famous people who need someone to pace them through a marathon, please let me know because I’d be more than happy to do it. I know what you’re thinking – that I’m too generous.

It’s a tough job but someone’s gotta do it.

Related Articles You Might Like

Help Me Compile the Next Celebrity List!

I’d really like to build a comprehensive listing(s) of celebrities who run – not just the ones who’ve run a marathon. Want to help me? If you do, please tell me about all the famous people know about so I can get started!

About Mark Iocchelli

Also known as the "Running Blogfather", I'm a 40-something marathoner who has beaten stress fractures and terrible shin splints. Now I'm running double the mileage with no pain - and I'm getting faster. I love to talk about running form and Arthur Lydiard. I also enjoy taking photographs, have a beautiful (and very patient!) wife, and am the proud father of two crazy kids. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about the site.

1. Adeel on June 18th at 9:13 am

Roger Craig of the 49ers has run something like 3:50.

Peter Fonseca, now an MPP here, has run around 2:10. I don’t know how much that counts though.

Didn’t John Kerry claim to have run Boston?

2. 21stCenturyMom on June 18th at 11:29 am

Will Farrell’s wife is a multi-time marathoner and she paced him. He tells funny stories about running along with her saying “Look honey – it’s the Empire State Building!” and him responding “GREAT, WONDERFUL! SO WHAT??!!” because she was just loping along and he was in pain.

3. 21stCenturyMom on June 18th at 11:31 am

PS – love your commentary – very clever.

I thought Lance was done with marathons. He isn’t really a sub 3 guy but he’s so competitive that he did it anyhow and it hurt!

4. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on June 18th at 12:36 pm

Armstrong is already signed up to run NYC again this year, I think. Although his name isn’t in the entrant database, so perhaps I heard wrong.

5. Vanilla on June 18th at 4:15 pm

I’ve heard that “musician” Fergie is training for a marathon. You can find ton’s of pictures of her running while wearing a fuel belt, but I haven’t heard which marathon she’s running or if she’s already run one.

6. Mark Iocchelli on June 18th at 5:12 pm

Adeel & Vanilla: Thanks for the tips. Adeel, I’ve read that Kerry’s claim to have run a marathon is questionable?

21st: hahah! That’s a great anecdote.

Blaine: Yeah, Armstrong was said to be signing up for NY but I haven’t heard much about that lately.

7. Peter on June 18th at 7:35 pm

Great report. But what year (how old was he) did W run his M? We all know Houston is flat. I’m astonished at Edwards’ time.

8. Celebrity Marathoners link at Building Nutrition on June 18th at 7:43 pm

[...] websites, I found this post by Mark, the Running Blogfather (cool name by the way). He lists 25 celebrity marathoners and their finishing times. It was fun to read his commentary of the celebrities. I look forward to [...]

9. Danny on June 18th at 7:54 pm

Vanessa Carlton (singer) ran NYC in 2005. Pretty good time with a net of 3:56:20.

10. Michael on June 19th at 5:33 am

I wish you inclued the years of these races

11. Celebrity Marathoners » The Deets - Ed Kohler's Blog on June 19th at 7:05 am

[...] Running has a list of 25 celebrities who’ve run marathons. What’s most shocking about the list is people who appear to be in pretty good shape running [...]

12. Anne on June 21st at 10:24 am

Natalie Morales of the Today Show ran the 2006 NYC Marathon in 3:31.02. She’s apparently run several other marathons but said this one was a PR!

13. Top 25 marathon celeberaties at losse veter on June 23rd at 1:27 pm

[...] categorieen: acteurs, politici, atleten etc etc. Op een andere site staat er zelfs een top 25 van celeberaties die marathons [...]

14. Elite/Famous Runner Web Sites » Complete Running Network on June 28th at 5:58 pm

[...] 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners [...]

15. Blogs by Elite/Famous Runners Courtesy of Runner’s World » Complete Running Network on June 28th at 6:00 pm

[...] 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners [...]

16. MySpace Can Be OurSpace » Complete Running Network on June 28th at 6:01 pm

[...] 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners [...]

17. Elite/Famous Ultra/Trail Runner Web Sites » Complete Running Network on June 28th at 6:03 pm

[...] 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners [...]

18. David Leech on July 2nd at 8:22 pm

Great article, I can’t improve on it at all, so I hope you don’t mind if I copy it and refer back !

May not mean much to Americans, but Michael Watson, a former boxer from the UK, also ran/walked the London Marathon in 2003. Michael suffered a serious brain injury in a fight with Chris Eubank and went into a coma for 40 days. Over a period of two years he finally began to recover the ability to walk, and finished his marathon in 6 days.

Also Danny Wallace, former Manchester Utd and England International Footballer did the London Marathon in 2006. Danny now suffers from Mutiple Sclerosis and took 6 days to complete the event.

19. laura on March 4th at 6:53 am

you forgot Katie Holmes- Cruise

20. Oprah Could Beat Me In a Race. « the razor’s edge on April 8th at 12:26 pm

[...] me put that time in perspective for you. Courtesy of the Complete Running Blog Network, I give 25 celebrities would either torched me or they were high or drunk (see David Lee [...]

21. Hertoginn.com » Maraþon on April 13th at 2:39 pm

[...] tíman varðar og þætti mér væntum að ná betri tíma heldur en ameríska hlaupadrottningin Oprah Winfrey sem hljóp þetta á 4 klst og 29 mín árið [...]

22. Audrey on May 22nd at 11:54 am

Jason Bateman has run the LA marathon a few times.

He also has run a few other races as well. I knew he had run marathons, but this site showed me the other races: http://ww2.athlinks.com/myresults.aspx?rid=32271582

it’s really helpful!

I’m surprised at Bush’s time..he did really well!

23. BagOfNothing.com » 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon on June 27th at 4:42 am

[...] Full List [...]

24. Fantastic Link « Run, Dani, Run! on July 8th at 11:56 am

[...] Celebrities who have run a Marathon [...]

25. Celebrities Who Have Never Run a Marathon : Complete Running Network on July 18th at 9:05 am

[...] of CompleteRunning.com’s most popular columns of all-time is a list of 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon by Mark [...]

26. Sheamus on July 18th at 2:26 pm

It’s easy to criticise if you haven’t done it yourself, but some of those times are pretty tragic. I thought it’d be a lot faster. Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey regularly runs marathons and averages around 3:30. And he’s about 15 stone, I think.

Also Armstrong has gone as fast as 2:47, I believe.

Alexandra Paul, of Baywatch fame, did the 1997 Hawaii Ironman in 13:18:52.

George Bush’s time compared to some of the other, much more visually fit-looking names, is unreal.

Sheamuss last blog post..10 Strange Things I Have Seen While Running (Plus Day 46)

27. KAIZAR IS THE RUNNING MAN « MRod says: on August 1st at 1:09 pm

[...] Nation sends a best of luck to Kaizar who, inspired by the likes of Oprah and past celebrity marathon runners, will be running his first marathon this weekend out there in San [...]

28. Athlo Blog » Blog Archive » Celebrity Marathoners on August 3rd at 1:44 am

[...] network of running blogs, the other day.  One of their most popular posts that caught my eye was 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run A Marathon.  I’m not really one for tabloid magazines or Hollywood gossip but I thought it would be [...]

29. Chubby Copperpot on August 3rd at 6:44 am

You have made a glaring error, old boy, what-what!!

David Lee Roth wasn’t dumped by Van Halen — HE LEFT to pursue a solo career.

So, blame Mr. Roth for one history’s POOREST DECISIONS.

Silly sausages, what-what-what!

30. Running into Celebrities : Complete Running Network on August 12th at 12:01 am

[...] visitors to CRN. On the home page, you’ll notice one of our most popular articles is Mark’s 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners. The post is so popular that it was even parodied a few weeks ago by Mike [...]

31. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on September 3rd at 6:30 am

Got a new politician to add to the list!

Sarah Palin ran 3:59:36 at Humpy’s Anchorage Marathon on August 21, 2005.

Not too shabby!

Blaine Moore (Run to Win)s last blog post..How can you stay competitive as you age?

32. Celebrities Who have Never Run a Marathon « Runnerforchrist’s Weblog on October 13th at 5:07 pm

[...] Run a Marathon One of CompleteRunning.com’s most popular columns of all-time is a list of 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon by Mark [...]

33. 25 celebrities Who Have Run a Marathon « Runnerforchrist’s Weblog on October 13th at 5:12 pm

[...] Ever wonder who among the rich and famous have run a marathon and how you stack up against them? So did I so I set out to compile a list. An hour of googling later I found out Wikipedia beat me to it but that list was a bit boring so I decided to have a little fun with it. Here’s the result – CRN’s list of 25 Celebrities Who’ve Run a Marathon. [...]

34. Leana Jo Hover on February 24th at 11:42 am

You know, all these times (that they did in the various marathons they ran) are excellent, really.

For people, who don’t really run much or known by another field, 5:00 hours or a little more, isn’t so bad, really!! You should think about that!!

35. Anna Richard on March 8th at 6:49 pm

My favorite was the George Bush one. I don’t think he would actually run a marathon, or anything that involves actual work for that matter.

36. Megan Fox on March 28th at 4:04 am

Will Ferrell? Wow that was surprising. Had no idea he was the running sort.

Megan Foxs last blog post..Megan Fox Wearing Leather on the Transformers 2 Set

37. Samvira Alioas on April 11th at 4:01 pm

Fantastic post! Well done

38. david sim on June 15th at 8:19 am

Wow,

just like the dems to rag on Pres Bush. Perhaps Obama can run a 5K with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. I don’t see an comments about Edwards running fast due to his “skirt chasing” and his fast adultrous behavior. All Bush did was keep us safe for 7 years….

39. Mark on June 15th at 9:30 am

David,

I’m not a Democrat. I was just having some fun. Lighten up.

40. Jon (was) in Michigan on June 15th at 8:43 pm

LOL! You just can’t talk politics with some people. :D
    .-= Jon (was) in Michigan´s last blog ..Boston bound =-.

41. Sam Tables on August 13th at 9:15 am

I can just imagine Will Ferrell running a marathon! Every clip he is in he has a bit…of a beer gut! There actually were several people on that list that surprised me.
    .-= Sam Tables´s last blog ..Lift Table Safety Skirt =-.

42. Teresa Schultz on November 1st at 1:18 pm

I don’t think David James Elliott’s time of 4.57 is too bad – a marathon is tough! My best was 12 years ago of 3.49 and if I had to run one next week, I’d probably do it in close to 7!
    .-= Teresa Schultz´s last blog ..Who am I to give long jump or running advice? =-.

43. Frank on March 5th at 9:13 am

Does anyone else hate Oprah as much as i do? i despise her
    i believe the Prime Minister of France has run a few SUB 3s, a good man and a tough one at that

44. Dave Crockett on March 12th at 12:48 pm

Oprahs marathon ( Marine Corps) was ” stooged”, shammed up for Oprah to finish. At the 4 hr mark race officials at the bridge ( Memorial) called the finish line to say they were opening the bridge to traffic and diverting the “racers” on that side. This meant that anyone who had not made the bridge would not reach the finish line. They were quickly informed not to do that as a VIP party was 6 miles out from the finsh line, and short of the bridge, and could be threatened by opening the bridge.

Oprahs group was at~ the 20 mile mark at that time ( 4 hrs) had been running a 5mph pace. She was a least 1hr+ from finsihing, but miraculously finished in 4:29 and change. This means she would have had to run the last 6 miles in 30 minutes, 12 MPH. This is as fast a pace as the quickest marathon ever run. Rosie Ruiz? No this was the illustrious Oprah. An honest Bob Greene, who had helped train Oprah, had serious reservations about her ability to even finish a marathon. So after 20 miles @ 5MPH pace we are led to believe she sprinted the last 6 miles in 30 minutes. Just look what money, fame and celebrity can buy.

Oh by the way how do I know this? Because I was a race official at the bridge. The last time I volunteered for this race, and the last time I will.

45. Kurt B on June 5th at 4:45 pm

Can Lance Armstrong do everything perfectly???!!! JEEZ. That’s an amazing time.

And, yes, Mario Lopez’s finish time is a little startling. Given his physical state, I would normally guess 3:30 or under for him.

46. Chirstina hendricks on July 5th at 3:54 am

Wow, this is a really inspiring post I will definitely have to get out there and start training again!

47. rosette on July 12th at 7:28 am

Princess Beatrice, who was the daughter of Ms. Sarah Ferguson, also participate in the recent marathon.
    .-= rosette´s last blog ..sponkit-celeb- wewasgooduntil Angelina Jolie Defends Her Daughter’s Unique Look http-bitly-c5UdNN =-.

48. Suzanne on October 1st at 8:14 am

SO glad to see the info on Oprah, that her race was rigged…which is really really sad to know, because I trained hard for 4 months and hit a wall at mile 20 with total time of 4:52 for my first marathon………..so was not too happy to see her beating me……… ha ha

49. Kristen Morelli on November 17th at 8:34 pm

I wonder if any Clebrities will be at the disney full marathon in January. It will by my first.

50. fldkjfds on December 5th at 7:05 pm

Anyone who finishes a marathon rocks. So dumb to make pot shots at people who don’t finish in less than 4 hours. Not everyone is built the same or trains enough.

I’ve seen 60 year olds that can outrun 30 year olds. Chubby bunnies who outrun, lean mean fighting machines.

So just because someone is young and buff does not make them a talented runner. Anyone who makes time to train for a marathon and finishes one is fantastic in my opinion and being a great role model for others that couldn’t even imagine running 3 miles – most people I know almost pass out at the thought of 3!

51. Mark Iocchelli on December 5th at 7:08 pm

Relax, dude – it’s just lighthearted fun. I am not fast and most of my friends are not. You might want to get your funny bone checked by medical personnel because I fear it may be broken. ;) (p.s. that was also a joke).