Video Inspiration: Female Runner With A Message All Of Us Can Relate To

Posted by Filed Under: Inspiration & Motivation, Video

More often than not, the videos I show here on Saturdays feature male runners. This is not by design. In fact, I often find it difficult to find videos featuring female runners.

But today, I found an amazing little gem that brought me close to tears. The video features a young woman with the universal message that running is, for many of us, time where we can reflect on life, sort out our troubles, and return home stronger and better people.

So grab some tissue and enjoy (and please feel free to share your stories of how this video touched you).

About Mark Iocchelli

Also known as the "Running Blogfather", I'm a 40-something marathoner who has beaten stress fractures and terrible shin splints. Now I'm running double the mileage with no pain - and I'm getting faster. I love to talk about running form and Arthur Lydiard. I also enjoy taking photographs, have a beautiful (and very patient!) wife, and am the proud father of two crazy kids. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about the site.

1. Tammy on February 4th at 8:13 am

That was … unsettling.

2. Soozan on February 4th at 9:09 am

Um. Hmm. It’s cute that they both have pony tails . . .

3. Mark Iocchelli on February 4th at 8:35 pm

whoa. here I was thinking the ending was super positive and inspiring. I guess it just goes to show how differently people can see things. :)

4. Jeanne on February 5th at 6:34 am

I don’t think this is going to win any oscars…but nice try mark!

5. 21stCenturyMom on February 5th at 9:41 am

What was the message? It’s okay for a man to yell at his wife when she wants to go running but it’s okay for her to run because she has to process her dark, emotional past? What if she wanted to think about puppies and butterflies? I don’t get it.

Weird. And really, he looked like a selfish a-hole. He’s very lucky to be married to such a nice woman.

I found several videos featuring women and running. Not maybe the inspirational pieces you are looking for but they are out there and I didn’t even look for triathlon videos – just running.
    I offer you 3 very different videos:

“I Nothin’ But Love For Ya Baby” – where hip hop meets the bootilicious women of track and field.

Or this – Cross Country Twins

Or this crazy Nike ad that was banned in the US

6. mattshu on February 5th at 10:00 am

that was like emotional m&ms-high in calories, low in nutritional value.

It’s like the creator wanted to manipulate emotions beyond anything else. I thought for sure I’d see kids or dogs get hit by a car along with the runner visiting a cancer check-up place.

7. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on February 5th at 1:27 pm

That Nike commercial that got banned was great; it is one of my favorite all time commercials. They originally aired it during the Super Bowl, but the second airing of it got shut down before the end of the game because the femi-nazis were offended by a woman getting the better of a crazy guy or something. I went to the indoor national championships meet to watch Suzy Hamilton run a few years ago (1999 or 2000, I think) but she scratched her race. We were disappointed, but at least we got to see a world record set in the pole vault that day. It was an exciting day all around.

As for this video about the woman and her running, yeah, I didn’t really get it. I wasn’t really sure what the arguing was all about.

8. Jeanne on February 5th at 1:33 pm

this is an amateur video folks…it’s not exactly high art. sometimes we hit it…sometimes we miss! I repeat: nice try mark!

9. 21stCenturyMom on February 5th at 6:41 pm

Oh Blaine – let us NOT use the disgusting term ‘feminazi’ unless we are willing to define it. Are you?

I think there’s at least a fighting chance that the commercial was banned to prevent small children who might be watching from having nightmares.

signed – 21stCenturyMom, uber feminazi.

10. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on February 6th at 5:19 am

My use of the term as it relates specifically to this instance is due to the fact that the commercial was pulled after complaints from a feminist organization that thought that the commercial was degrading to women. I use the term in jest because I think it is a ridiculous claim.

11. 21stCenturyMom on February 6th at 3:11 pm

I read that it was pulled to keep from frightening children. I agree that alleging that the ad is degrading to women is stupid – she got away!

No matter, though – I detest the term feminazi. It is a catch all term to paint a picture of women as men hating harpies with an ax to grind and is used far too frequently to have any legitimacy. It is a creepy talk radio term and in my opinion enlightened, intelligent people don’t resort to those sort of epithets. It is beneath them.

12. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on February 6th at 6:32 pm

If it makes you feel any better, the ones that complained that the ad was degrading to women probably did have some sort of ax to grind. I’ll refrain from using the term in the future though, and I think we’ve gotten a bit off track.

13. Ashley on February 6th at 7:18 pm

As someone who uses running to “sort things out” and as a way to stay sane, I kinda liked the video. As Jeanne pointed out – its an amateur video, one persons dedication to their mom. I would however, have liked the husband to apologize when she got home. :)

14. Juls on February 9th at 11:55 pm

Interesting comments. I can see why Mark wanted to share this with us. Lives can be tough. Married life is not without fights.

I remember being a teenager and how I used running as a why to get through it back then. My Mom even grounded me from running. It was sort of like this (not as tragic) in they way that she would run and have all of the memories run through her head.

15. Video: Runners High » Complete Running Network on February 10th at 12:16 pm

[…] Juls: Interesting comments. I can see why Mark wanted to share this with us. Lives can be tough. Married life is not… […]

16. Meklorka on November 27th at 2:15 am

@ Blaine

Real feminists wouldn’t object to something like this – like it was pointed out, the woman totally kicks his ass, so to speak. If anything, this commercial IS feminist. I happily identify as a militant feminist and thought that commercial was awesome. I don’t know what your sources were in terms of why that video got banned or by whom, but I have the sneaking suspicion that it may have been taken off air for other reasons (possibly copyright infringement? That guy was a dead ringer for michael) and then it was blamed through the rumor mill on feminists. I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time.

Feminazi is a poor term because it equates feminists with fascists, when feminism is the exact opposite of fascism. Even the most extreme feminist, like myself, wants only one thing – to live free and equal, and to be able to raise our daughters and sons in a world where they have access to the same opportunities. Most people wouldn’t have called MLK a nazi or the civil rights movement fascist. Same goals, ultimately, just for another segment of the population.