Running Thoughts …

Posted by Filed Under: Inspiration & Motivation

What do YOU think about when you are running?

I don’t know about you, but I don’t listen to music when I run alone so I end up either talking to myself or thinking. Running sure allows for time to do some great thinking and planning of my life. So I guess the question to ask would be “what do I think about?”

1. Work. Stresses and successes at work often occupy my mind. Maybe that is why running is so beneficial for me. I can diffuse on a run instead of taking work home at night.
  2. Upcoming races/running events. Usually there is a goal on the horizon when I am running so I am often thinking of timelines, training schedule, my overall fitness level and if I will be ready.
  3. My better half. This is always a good time to think about my relationship with my wife, reflect on past “issues” and good times, and think about what the future holds for us.
  4. Injuries. Past, present and future. For the last 5 years (more in the last 3) I have had a lot of problems with my hip and knee, so this consumes a lot of my run. I also think back and reflect on other injuries as well as wonder what is waiting for me on the horizon.
  5. Money. Sometimes I work on my finances and do some future planning or think about possible money making ventures.
  6. The past. Thinking about the past is sometimes fun. I think about where I was a year ago, two years ago or even 20 years ago. It helps me appreciate how far I have come and sometimes shows me how some things stay the same.
  7. My family. Just thinking about dynamics with my son, brothers, parents, and in-laws can sure pass a lot of time.
  8. Friends. It is fun to think about my friends and fun times I have had with them. Also, I think about how time flies and how we just don’t spend enough time together. I also think about how easy it is to drift apart.
  9. Renovations. I sometimes put a little time in on a run planning future renovations to my house. I will plan the job as well as the timeline and the money needed and where I am going to get that money from.
  10. The DREAM race. Once in a while I will think on a run of what it would be like to feel no pain or be invincible when running. If I had just ONE marathon where I could run as fast as my legs would allow and I would not burn any energy or produce any lactic acid. I picture the finish line and my awesome time and what my friends would say… ahhh, to dream!

What do you think about when you run?

1. Irene on January 19th at 1:56 pm

I don’t run outdoors plugged into music so there’s plenty to think about. I think about everything you mentioned PLUS my surroundings… For example “Are there any weirdos lurking?” And “Who is in front of/behind me?”

2. Perry on January 19th at 3:30 pm

I like to listen to books & podcasts (and juggle) while running. Knocking off 3 birds with one stone, a highly efficient use of my time. Last year I “read” at least 3 entire books including Fountainhead, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance, and The Illiad.

But on the rare occasion I go unplugged, I think about my breathing, my heartbeat, the bean bags hitting my hands and sometimes (on a treadmill) I see a path from my house to the lake that I run often.

3. Jeanne on January 19th at 4:32 pm

Make it stop? :)

4. Jon (was) in Michigan on January 20th at 8:46 am

I think about my blog. I think about racing. I think about the RBF. I think about what it was like to run in the woods in Michigan.

Mostly? What Jeanne said. Make it stop.

5. Karen C. on January 20th at 10:53 am

All of the above. When the going gets tough sometimes it’s just “to that next corner”. When the footing is not challenging, sometimes I remember song lyrics I’ve enjoyed recently. On looooooong runs I start counting things or certain kinds of cars or people. I’ve been known to count pop bottles in the ditch on country runs. Pace math is a good distraction, when I have an idea of how far I’ve come in the time I’ve run. Many times I think about how I’m going to explain it to the blog if I don’t work hard enough.

6. Linda on January 20th at 2:10 pm

Running is MY time out but I usually plan something in my head. Other thoughts consist of when I might encounter the next snake or where the dog disappeared to.

7. Dawn - Pink Chick on January 20th at 6:09 pm

I think about way too much and sometimes I think about nothing at all. I get totally lost in my run. Then sometimes I’m running along and something will remind me of another blogger I’ve read or a friend.

8. Ed on January 21st at 3:18 pm

I think about nothing good. I think about when can I quit, how much longer, are my knees falling apart? I wonder what that sensation is in my hips. Is my heart beating too fast? Is this heart rate monitor working correctly?

This is why I wear an iPod. I have to drown out the barking.

9. Anne on January 22nd at 7:14 am

Unfortunately, too many of my runs are consumed by this thought: Where’s the nearest restroom?!

10. Geoff on January 22nd at 8:33 am

Since running is one of the rare opportunities to be alone with my thoughts, they tend to accumulate during the day and spill out during a run so that I think of the most bizarre and random things ranging from asparagus (do i really like it or not?) to newcastle uniteds injury list to wondering what hamsters taste like.

11. Mark Iocchelli on January 22nd at 2:01 pm

“what hamsters taste like” is definitely not one of the things I’ve ever thought about on a run!

12. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on January 22nd at 2:37 pm

I have to admit, that thought has crossed my mind before…then again, I basically wonder what any animal that runs in front of me might taste like.

13. Mark Iocchelli on January 22nd at 7:11 pm

ahhh, good one Blaine!

14. Ashley on December 15th at 4:19 am

Good post Bro and bit different from everyone else’s