What do YOU think about when you are running?
I don’t know about you, but I don’t listen to music when I run alone so I end up either talking to myself or thinking. Running sure allows for time to do some great thinking and planning of my life. So I guess the question to ask would be “what do I think about?”
- Work. Stresses and successes at work often occupy my mind. Maybe that is why running is so beneficial for me. I can diffuse on a run instead of taking work home at night.
- Upcoming races/running events. Usually there is a goal on the horizon when I am running so I am often thinking of timelines, training schedule, my overall fitness level and if I will be ready.
- My better half. This is always a good time to think about my relationship with my wife, reflect on past “issues” and good times, and think about what the future holds for us.
- Injuries. Past, present and future. For the last 5 years (more in the last 3) I have had a lot of problems with my hip and knee, so this consumes a lot of my run. I also think back and reflect on other injuries as well as wonder what is waiting for me on the horizon.
- Money. Sometimes I work on my finances and do some future planning or think about possible money making ventures.
- The past. Thinking about the past is sometimes fun. I think about where I was a year ago, two years ago or even 20 years ago. It helps me appreciate how far I have come and sometimes shows me how some things stay the same.
- My family. Just thinking about dynamics with my son, brothers, parents, and in-laws can sure pass a lot of time.
- Friends. It is fun to think about my friends and fun times I have had with them. Also, I think about how time flies and how we just don’t spend enough time together. I also think about how easy it is to drift apart.
- Renovations. I sometimes put a little time in on a run planning future renovations to my house. I will plan the job as well as the timeline and the money needed and where I am going to get that money from.
- The DREAM race. Once in a while I will think on a run of what it would be like to feel no pain or be invincible when running. If I had just ONE marathon where I could run as fast as my legs would allow and I would not burn any energy or produce any lactic acid. I picture the finish line and my awesome time and what my friends would say… ahhh, to dream!
What do you think about when you run?