When the Nike + iPod kit came out, I thought it was really a cool idea. The thought of integrating your music and a time/distance tool in to one neat little kit was really intriguing. The downside for me was the fact that I don’t really care for Nike shoes. Never have. Even when I wasn’t a runner, I didn’t really wear Nike. They just don’t seem to fit my foot.
This is no longer a problem. A few enterprising folks have come up solutions to allow you to use your Nike + iPod combination with ANY shoe. Take a look at some of these solutions:
- Switcheasy.com: This is a neat little idea and looks like it would work very well. The hard case keeps your transmitter safe and the clip on the back makes it easy to move from shoe to shoe. $7.99
- Shoepouch.com: This is a little more basic, but should do the trick. Nothing fancy, just what you need to attach your transmitter to your shoe. $5.99
- Podophile.com: Podophile has a homemade solution that uses Velcro and a little ingenuity to attach your transmitter to any of your shoes. This has the benefit of being free and fairly secure.
- Sportsuit Sensor+: This is a nice little neoprene pouch that attaches to the laces of your shoe. Designed specifically for the iPod transmitter, it looks like it should work well. $9.95
- Nike Shoe Wallet: This is a product direct from Nike, that may work to hold your transmitter. It’s not designed specifically for doing this (obviously Nike would rather sell the shoes) but it would most likely do the trick. $8.00 (Out of stock)
Bottom-line, you no longer have to wear Nike shoes to enjoy the benefits of the Nike + iPod transmitter system. Any of the solutions noted above should work to manage the transmitter securely and get you out running in your New Balance, Puma, or any other brand shoe you choose.