In a follow-up to Mark’s list of Elite or Famous Distance Runner Web Sites, I decided to add a list of famous/elite ultra/trail runner websites. Again, these are all either run by the athlete or sanctioned by them as an official site.
- Extreme Ultrarunning is David’s Horton’s site. He is legendary in the world of ultrarunning and known for being the only American to ever complete the nearly impossible Barkley Ultra and setting the Pacific Crest Trail speed record (66 days – 2,659 miles).
- Charlie Engle has a blog and website and is currently in the middle of running 4,000 miles across the Sahara Desest.
- Krissy Moehl chronicals her running adventures in her personal blog. She is on fire and has set 4 course records this year, including the new women’s record at the grueling Santa Barbara 9 Trails last week.
- Ever controversial Dean Karnazes has a blog, a website, and you can currently track him as he runs across the United States on the way back home from running 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days.
- Known for a 7 year winning streak at Western States and a current 2 years streak at Badwater, Scott Jurek is a force to be reckoned with.
- Stehpanie Ehret may only be 100 pounds (according to her site), but she was first overall (men & women) at the 2003 Javelina Jundred.
- Photographer, runner and now race director – Luis Escobar’s site is called All We Do Is Run
- Peter Bakwin is Stephanie Ehret’s husband and recent finisher of the impressive double Hard Rock.
That is the list I have come up with. Who am I missing? It’s hard to determine who is considered “elite” in ultra running circles. I tried to stick to well known names and runners who finish in the top 5 or 10 of their races. I’m sure I’ve missed some. A listing of some ultra runners web pages can be found here.
- 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners
- Blogs by Elite/Famous Runners Courtesy of Runner’s World
- Runners on MySpace
- Elite/Famous Runner Web Sites