I set out to collect a list of famous or elite distance runner websites – personal sites maintained or at least sanctioned by elite runners. I was dissappointed to find a very limited number of such sites.
- Winner of the 2004 Olympic Marathon: Stefano Baldini. Stefano needs to get the English translation part of his site working.
- Probably the United States greatest current hope in men’s marathoning: Meb Keflezighi
- The best American female marathoner in several years: Deena Kastor
- Does Paula Radcliffe need any introduction?
- Katherine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston Marathon.
- Uta Pippig is a female runner who, among other things, won the Boston Marathon three times in the mid-90’s.
- Khalid Khannouchi. Khalid has struggled to come back ever since he injured his foot a few years ago but, in his best days, he was the world’s premiere marathoner. I hope Khalid is able to come back and begin updating his website.
- Jeff Galloway is now mostly known as a writer but he was once a world-class marathoner.
- Chasing Kimbia is a very cool site which follows the progress of several athletes. These guys really have the right idea when it comes to promoting the sport of distance running and I’d love to see more sites like it.
- Adeel suggested Marius Bakken. A great addition.
- Craig Mottram is from Australia and is special in that he is one of the few to consistently keep up with elite African runners.
- Blaine reminded me about Joan Nesbit Mabe
- Pete Pfitzinger is a two-time olympian, world famous coach and author of the highly respected book titled, Advanced Marathoning.
These are all the websites I have been able to find. Do you know of any that should be added to the list?
I wish more of the elites would put up sites. In the age of the blog, it would be very easy for them to do so and it would be a great way for them to connect with those of us who admire them.
Here are a couple of sites worth visiting that often provide bios and/or terrific information for elite runners:
- The International Association of Athletics Federation.
- Wikipedia has terrific lists of middle-distance, notable long-distance athletes and notable marathon runners.
- Here is a terrific athlete page on Kimbia Athletics
- 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners
- Blogs by Elite/Famous Runners Courtesy of Runner’s World
- Runners on MySpace
- Elite/Famous Ultra/Trail Runner Web Sites