Elite/Famous Runner Web Sites

Posted by Filed Under: Elite Running, Famous/Celebrity Runners, Links

I set out to collect a list of famous or elite distance runner websites – personal sites maintained or at least sanctioned by elite runners. I was dissappointed to find a very limited number of such sites.

1. Winner of the 2004 Olympic Marathon: Stefano Baldini. Stefano needs to get the English translation part of his site working.
  2. Probably the United States greatest current hope in men’s marathoning: Meb Keflezighi
  3. The best American female marathoner in several years: Deena Kastor
  4. Does Paula Radcliffe need any introduction?
  5. Katherine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston Marathon.
  6. Uta Pippig is a female runner who, among other things, won the Boston Marathon three times in the mid-90’s.
  7. Khalid Khannouchi. Khalid has struggled to come back ever since he injured his foot a few years ago but, in his best days, he was the world’s premiere marathoner. I hope Khalid is able to come back and begin updating his website.
  8. Jeff Galloway is now mostly known as a writer but he was once a world-class marathoner.
  9. Chasing Kimbia is a very cool site which follows the progress of several athletes. These guys really have the right idea when it comes to promoting the sport of distance running and I’d love to see more sites like it.
  10. Adeel suggested Marius Bakken. A great addition.
  11. Craig Mottram is from Australia and is special in that he is one of the few to consistently keep up with elite African runners.
  12. Blaine reminded me about Joan Nesbit Mabe
  13. Pete Pfitzinger is a two-time olympian, world famous coach and author of the highly respected book titled, Advanced Marathoning.

These are all the websites I have been able to find. Do you know of any that should be added to the list?

I wish more of the elites would put up sites. In the age of the blog, it would be very easy for them to do so and it would be a great way for them to connect with those of us who admire them.
————
Here are a couple of sites worth visiting that often provide bios and/or terrific information for elite runners:

1. The International Association of Athletics Federation.
  2. Wikipedia has terrific lists of middle-distance, notable long-distance athletes and notable marathon runners.
  3. Here is a terrific athlete page on Kimbia Athletics

Related Articles

1. 25 Celebrity Marathon Runners
  2. Blogs by Elite/Famous Runners Courtesy of Runner’s World
  3. Runners on MySpace
  4. Elite/Famous Ultra/Trail Runner Web Sites

About Mark Iocchelli

Also known as the "Running Blogfather", I'm a 40-something marathoner who has beaten stress fractures and terrible shin splints. Now I'm running double the mileage with no pain - and I'm getting faster. I love to talk about running form and Arthur Lydiard. I also enjoy taking photographs, have a beautiful (and very patient!) wife, and am the proud father of two crazy kids. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about the site.

1. Adeel on November 30th at 11:18 am

One you missed, though it’s not what it used to be, is Marius Bakken’s website: http://www.maribusbakken.com.

Bakken has run 13:06 and competed internationally for years.

Chasing Kimbia is probably the best that I’ve ever seen. The IAAF website seems a litle aloof outside of major competitions.

2. Mark Iocchelli on November 30th at 11:23 am

Thanks Adeel. I added it.

3. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on November 30th at 11:36 am

Another one that you missed is Songs of Experience by Joan Nesbit Mabe – she’s retired, but she used to be an elite runner.

4. Mark Iocchelli on November 30th at 11:42 am

Of course! How could I miss her? She’s had a blog for a long time!

5. Jessica on November 30th at 3:16 pm

You missed a bunch of ultra runner and trail runner website. Should I put together a separate list for this crowd? Though not as “famous”.. still a good reference I’m sure.

6. Adeel on November 30th at 7:34 pm

Pete Pfitzinger also has a website. That’s actually the one with which I’m most familiar.

I didn’t know Mottram had a site. Thanks.

7. Elite/Famous Ultra/Trail Runner Web Sites » Complete Running Network on June 16th at 9:15 pm

[…] document.write(“”); } )() In a follow-up to Mark’s list of Elite or Famous Distance Runner Web Sites, I decided to add a list of famous/elite ultra/trail runner websites. Again, these are all either […]

8. Mary on January 9th at 3:00 pm

Suzy Favor Hamilton an olympic 5,000 and 10,000 meter runner has a site – she is originally from Stevens Point, WI – I know since I had to run against her when she was in Highschool- she was always way ahead even though I was probably in the top third of all runners
    averaging 5:40 – 6:00/per mile pace, I didn’t reach ‘elite’.
    She is a personal idol
    Here’s her site:

9. Ryan A. Rancudo on October 30th at 3:57 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

Warm greetings!

We would like to invite you and your company to our FUN RUN FOR BETTER EDUCATION 2010 to be held at MCKINLEY HILL CYBER PARK, FORT BONIFACIO GLOBAL CITY, TAGUIG CITY on Nov.27, 2010 at 5:00 a.m. Saturday.

This educational event will benefit many Street Children to get back in school. Sponsors and Participants will be given with FREE PROMOTION OF THEIR PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, FREE SPEED MATH E-BOOK CD, THANK YOU LETTER, ACTUAL PHOTO OF THE EVENT, RACING SINGLET WITH KIT AND CERTIFICATE OF SPONSORSHIP/PARTICIPATION.

For more information, please contact us at 0917-4038001 and 4915908 or you may visit us at http://www.funrun4bettereducation2010.blogspot.com.

Come and join us and together, Let’s MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN CHANGING LIVES!

Thank you in advance, more power and GOD bless!

Very truly yours,