Video: How a Canadian Dresses for Winter Running

Posted by Filed Under: Gear & Apparel, Outerwear, Running Tips, Underwear, Video

This video shows what I wear for running in the Canadian cold. How cold? Really cold but you’ll have to watch to find out just how cold. What you should know about this video is that, with what you see me wearing, I am warm while running.

With the right gear, you too can run in the cold. So get geared up and enjoy running in the winter.

cold running clothing

About Mark Iocchelli

Also known as the "Running Blogfather", I'm a 40-something marathoner who has beaten stress fractures and terrible shin splints. Now I'm running double the mileage with no pain - and I'm getting faster. I love to talk about running form and Arthur Lydiard. I also enjoy taking photographs, have a beautiful (and very patient!) wife, and am the proud father of two crazy kids. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about the site.

1. A Passion for Running » whoa on November 28th at 8:38 am

[...] I did a little video up for CRN. Go take a look. tags:cold cold weather [...]

2. Soozan on November 28th at 10:57 am

that was freaking hysterical! i would do a dressing for Texas weather run, but it would be boring.

3. 21stCenturyMom on November 28th at 11:12 am

Duuude! Captain Underpants goes running in the cold.

You’re an animal but a darned fit one.

Thanks for sharing!

4. Aaron Engelsrud on November 28th at 12:28 pm

Mark,

You brought laughter to an otherwise gloomy, depressing day. That was, by far, one of the funniest things I have seen in a while (maybe that just means I don’t get out enough)!

Don’t they have treadmills in Canada, eh?

I loved the glimpse into your family life also – made me want to run home and play with my boys!

Thanks for sharing (I could have done without the butt shot however).

Aaron

5. jeff on November 28th at 12:35 pm

i’m comin’ over for meatloaf.

great video, mark. i know i got more out of that than just reading about the gear. thanks!

6. Meg on November 28th at 1:01 pm

You are so hard core.

holy crap.

I am so not hard core.

Love that you’r including video. LOVE it!

7. Anne on November 28th at 1:12 pm

And I thought it was chilly here when it dipped to 45 the other night!

8. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on November 28th at 6:17 pm

Oh, it couldn’t have been that cold, or you wouldn’t have waited for most of a minute to shut the door…heheh.

Well, Maine has had beautiful weather so far this winter. We haven’t been hit yet by the cold, but we’ve had a few glimpses that it is coming.

9. Dawn - Pink Chick on November 28th at 6:33 pm

You are brave to run in it and even braver to do a nearly complete strip for the CRN gang. Actually that was better then some of the male strip acts I’ve watched.

However, sorry to disappoint my own fans, I will stick with my list, now way in heck I’m doing a video…lol.

10. Joe Ely on November 29th at 4:05 am

Mark, this is awesome…thanks!

When I published my spreadsheet here on CRN a few weeks ago, I thought that was pretty extreme. But, I guess not!

Interestingly, we have virtually the same approach to running in really cold weather…same types of layers and levels. You just look better and have a better cat!

And thanks to Lori for being such a great camera operator!

11. IHateToast on November 29th at 6:25 pm

“hold on, daddy’s talking?” what a loada bovine fecal matter! daddy’s not talking; DADDY’S STRIPPIN FOR MAMMA!!!!… and the internet! you’re soooo paris hilton meets britney meets wayne gretzky meets showgirls meets mystery science theatre 3000! my hero…

i’m not having quite the same daily experience here in the subtropics and my husband never greets me with a camera and i certainly never strip off the sweaty gear for it.

that was so enjoyable. the commentary was great. and i’m sure soozan could find a way to make stripping after a run in texas very enjoyable. she’s just chicken!

12. Tammy on November 29th at 11:49 pm

such a tease… why stop there? ;)

So the fact that I’ve been hybernating here in Seattle because we got an inch of snow and it’s in the 20′s (F) makes you think less of me, doesn’t it? Go ahead, say it… I can take it.

13. Jeanne on December 4th at 5:52 am

oh my god. I thought i was going to swoon when you took off your shorts. did you REALLY just show off your underwear? you ARE fearless!

14. Never too Cold to Run at Binary Bonsai on January 23rd at 12:03 am

[...] Now I’m of course a measly a beginner, but even if I was seasoned, would I be able to run in 25C? This guy lives in Canada, and he does!… Now watch him -strip explain his clothes in front of the camera. [...]

15. Zu kalt zum laufen? on January 28th at 1:56 am

[...] -25 Grad Celsius wären für mich allerdings ein Grund einfach grundsätzlich nicht vor die Tür zu gehen, geschweige denn draussen rum zu rennen. Dieser Kanadier sieht das etwas anders und erklärt in einem Video ausführlich was er alles anzieht um draussen nicht zu erfrieren. Unter anderem füllt er heisses Wasser in seine Flasche und wenn er heim kommt ist es fast gefroren… [...]

16. Secret Santa » Complete Running Network on December 17th at 6:01 am

[...] you will be visiting several different parts of the world, it’s important to dress in layers. And I hate to say this Santa, but wool outerwear stopped being cool many years ago. You would be [...]

17. Let It Snow! : Complete Running Network on January 7th at 11:59 pm

[...] Do dress properly for the weather (see Mark’s excellent and hilarious video on dressing for an Alberta winter). [...]

18. Marc on October 24th at 6:26 am

Thank you for the video. That took lots of courage to strip down to your underwear in front of millions of internet viewers! :) However, the result is very educational and helpful. Thank you. I might actually try running this winter this year (I live in Montreal).

19. Travel Harriet on June 1st at 8:47 am

Thanks for the video and believe me this guy is so bold although i have learnt a lot about the Canadians

20. home and family on July 10th at 11:43 pm

Incridible story admin. You just help my homework for next examination Thanks admin

21. Andrea on September 6th at 4:11 pm

Toronto is a city that is freezing in the winter…take a look at my running advice
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..ENDURrun 160 Km in 8 days- Judy Hurst is one tough- strong runner =-.