Running With Headphones … As Bad as Running With Scissors?

Posted by Filed Under: News and Opinion

opinionI belong to two local running clubs, and both of them have active campaigns to stamp out running with headphones. It’s not safe, they say. What about if I keep the volume down, and only use one earpiece? Nope, they say. No good. Even low volume blocks sounds you need to hear, like other runners or, worse, bikers, coming up behind you. Or muggers.

Here’s a quote from the “Run Aware” campaign of one of my local running clubs:

Q. Well, who DOES run with headphones?
A. We can tell you who does NOT—runners who are serious about their training and racing leave the headphones home. Not at the track, not on the trail and not at the races.

(Ignoring the cockeyed grammar), by this definition, I am not serious about my training.

Still, after reading so much about the perils and the non-professionalism of running with headphones (on one running discussion board, someone asked the cogent question: “In what other sport do you see people training while wearing headphones?”) and the general disdain in which those who do use headphones are held (a runner friend tonight told me he thought it was “assinine” to run with headphones), I figured it was time to give this issue my full attention.

Because, after all, I’m a runner. And I’d like to think I’m (somewhat) serious about my running. So when the running community starts giving full-court press to an issue, I’m going to listen up.

But, why such a concerted campaign? Are there tons of people out there getting bumped off by predators sneaking up on headphone-wearing runners? Or a big upsurge in collisions? And here’s another question: What do deaf runners do? If part of the argument against wearing headphones is that you can’t hear well enough while wearing them—not even with only one earpiece in, turned low—to be cognizant of what’s around you, well, it seems to me that deaf runners face a real dilemma.

(Okay, I admit that last point is a red herring. But I would really like to know.)

Or does this campaign stem from a general feeling that the wearing of headphones is cheapening the sport? Or that by using headphones you’re just distracting yourself from the very thing you need to be paying attention to—namely, your body and its reactions?

Ah, that.

Yes, that’s the very thing that I’m trying to get away from: me. I want to distract myself from what I’m doing. But I’m starting to think I’m missing something. I guess it’s kind of like watching TV instead of talking to your kids, or your partner. Or worse, having a video player in your mini-van. But I digress.

The point is: I think we each need to give this issue some thought, since the professionals in our sport have made it such a priority.

When I run with headphones (which is always, except for an experiment I tried for 2.5 miles a few nights ago—going headphoneless), I’m not simply distracting myself from what I’m putting my body through, I’m also giving myself a little reward by getting to listen to a book, or favorite podcast, or music. This is my time, and I love that I can entertain my mind and push my body at the same time. I hate to give that up.

On the other hand, running without headphones was quite a different experience. I heard the night around me. I felt it. I noticed birds and other wildlife. I definitely felt more at one with my body. I thought thoughts.

Frankly, given the popularity of the i-pod and it’s various flavors, I think this campaign is going to be one tough sell.

Still.

I think there is merit in this push to leave the headphones behind. I will probably try this more often. Who knows, maybe it will become a habit.

What do you think?

About Jeanne

Cocky, headstrong, and genetically insecure, Jeanne is known by her friends as the Tall One. Whether its running a marathon, or ringing bells in choir, this love-able rapscallion finds ways of landing in all kinds zany, madcap adventures. You can find Jeanne musing about life, running, bell ringing, and other things at her favorite hangout, Not Born to Run. When not regaling her public with tales from the trails, Jeanne works as a Web editor for a national newspaper. She is also a freelance writer. Jeanne lives in the leafy suburb of Bethesda, Md., just outside the Beltway.

1. Danielle in Iowa on November 16th at 11:47 am

I was attacked once while running with headphones on (I was fortunate enough to get away). I didn’t run with them for at least a year afterwards. And you know what? I went from being a 25 mile/wk person to maybe half that if I were to be generous. I think whatever gets you going and works for you is A-OK. That being said, now that I run with a group a couple times a week, I don’t use them as much. And I never use them at night. But for me personally, I agree that it is part of the experience of just being out there enjoying whatever it is you enjoy best. I don’t think that makes me less “serious” of a runner.

2. thodarumm on November 16th at 12:52 pm

I always run against traffic and try to be mindful of my surroundings. I realize the dangers of running with the headphones, but I simply could not run without music for more than 2 miles in the past. Now, I routinely run 4-6 miles every other day of the week ( I am a late exercise bloomer:), I try to Strength train in between) and do one 8-9 miler a week. But I need my headphones on. So for me, it is a question of keeping my body fit with headphones as opposed to not exercsing. I have tried to run on and off without headphones, but I simply do not experience the same kind of joy. I run almost eclusively with Cardiocoach and very rarely with my own playlists.

3. Anne on November 16th at 3:01 pm

One thing I’ve noticed is how “the iPod” has reduced the amount of socializing during organized races. You simply don’t approach someone wearing earplugs or headphones because there’s the assumption he or she would rather listen to music than you. And so many people now wear them in races because they trained with them. I miss striking up a breathy conversation with strangers on the course. I think it’s sad that this has happened — and ironic, given these same folks are often deemed responsible for turning road races into social, rather than purely athletic, events.

4. Mark Iocchelli on November 16th at 3:15 pm

Yeah, and not just at races either. It’s with growing regularity where I try to say “hi” or strike up a consversation with a runner only to be greated with NADA because they’re in their own little world. Oh well.

5. Dawn - Pink Chick on November 16th at 6:31 pm

I confess, I run with music and ain’t about to stop. I do better and remain more motivated when the tunes are playing. However, the volume and how I wear my headset is based on who safe I feel where I am running. I usually only wear one ear and keep the volume loud enough to hear the beat. There has not yet been a time where I have not heard the footsteps or heavy breathing behind me.

I always make sure I am well aware of my surroundings and those within my vacinity. Arguments against wearing them are that one gets lost in the music. Well I have startled and been startled when not running with music. It is easy to get lost in thought about your run, your day or whatever even without tunes to a point that you are distracted and surprised by someone who suddenly approaches you from behind.

I’ll throw this one out there – maybe some of us runners who love running to music will stop doing so when those who drive stop talking on their cell phones while driving. Some people are fine and others well…

The point is that some people are good at multi-tasking and others can’t chew gum and walk as the old expression goes. Others can chew gum, run listen to music, talk on the phone and still carry on a conversation…lol.

As for the conversation bit, if a runner pulls up beside me and starts to chat I usually pull out my one ear piece and chat til I’m ready to move on or they do. But that’s rare as there’s few that are slow pokes like me…lol.

6. Joe Garland on November 16th at 6:54 pm

This is one of those on-going debates. All I’ll say is that I’ve long worn headphones, although I don’t on trails (except once on a smooth trail for a 20-miler) or in unfamiliar places and would never in a race or with others. I consider myself a serious runner by years, training, and results.

7. Adeel on November 16th at 7:54 pm

This is one of those issues that signifies the absence of other, significant issues. For example: if I go out and run at 1 am tonight, do I log it as a run on Thursday or Friday? Or, should I log mileage Monday to Sunday or Sunday to Saturday?

I think that there are safety issues to running with headphones, but it’s not the end of the world. You won’t run as well with headphones as you would otherwise, but that’s your prerogative.

The issue itself is terribly assinine and I wish it would go away in favour of something even remotely substantive.

8. Jessica on November 16th at 7:56 pm

I love music and I’m certainly not giving it up while running. I don’t wear them when I run with others though. I keep the volume generally low and often only one ear in. I run some tight singletrack trails and I always stay alert for bikes coming and one many occasions have heard them coming, hopped out of their way and kept going – all the while still listening to my music. I do think it’s foolish to run with headphones blasting – especially as a woman. Or for that matter to look like I’m not aware of my surroundings in general.

9. My Take on Running With Headphones « Run to Win » on November 16th at 7:57 pm

[…] Jeanne wrote an article about running with headphones over at Complete Running that I wanted to respond to. She is trying to understand some local running clubs that are mounting camptaigns against the process. One of the the things that she brings up is how it relates to deaf runners: What do deaf runners do? If part of the argument against wearing headphones is that you can’t hear well enough while wearing them—not even with only one earpiece in, turned low—to be cognizant of what’s around you, well, it seems to me that deaf runners face a real dilemma. […]

10. bex on November 17th at 4:11 am

This is from a local running club listserv. One that you belong to:

As reported in the City Paper, November 10th, in the News of the Weird Column – “Thinning the Herd” department: “A 30-year old woman was struck from behind and killed by a train in Little Rock, Arkansas, in October. Police said she was apparently listening to music on headphones at the time.”

11. IHateToast on November 17th at 5:05 am

–>i run by myself for the most part. so whom am i blocking out? city noise? traffic? barking dogs?
    i regularly listen to “Grammar Girl”, “LearnItalianPod” and “Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me” podcasts. i’ll be out and about for 2+ hours, may as well learn something while doing it. (or try).
    –>been assaulted twice. neither times was i running and nor did i have blocked ears.
    –>picabo street always planned her ski runs in competition while listening to headphones. don’t these runners watch the winter olympics ever? those athletes are jammin’. oooor are they just infinitely cooler than we runners?
    –>i always run a marathon with the headphones in, but not always on. more often than not, i hear conversations about banking and personal success. stuff i could hear on a bus while someone is yapping on a mobile phone. i’m not a social runner. that doesn’t make me angry or rushed. i live in a city. i work in a city. i’m bombarded by often unpleasant sounds all the time. when i run, it’s the only time i can control what i hear.
    –>i’ve also learned to run with headphones with the cord just going into the pocket, not a machine. sometimes i want to be left alone and that is easier to do than to say, “gee, i’m sorry, but i’ve been surrounded by students all day long, this run is the only time i have to myself.”

12. mark "booyaa" sta-ana on November 17th at 5:48 am

Jeanne,

Thanks for a well written blog post.

When I’m training, I’m happy to run with or without music. But as a rule for night running I keep the volume low and keep one ear free. I do this from a safety point of view, to avoid getting hit by cars/cyclists or getting robbed.

Unless I’m doing some major mental filing, I do love listening to music, podcasts and sometimes if I need to crank it up I even listen to some airborne ranger cadence 😉

I think the only time I don’t think listening to music is appropriate is when you’re at a racing event. I’ve yet to attend one, but I do think it’s a bit daft to wear your headphones then. You miss out of the crowds cheering and also you lose the ability to sense the runners around you.

At the end of the day if you’re running solo, it’s your own time, and your choice: wear ’em or don’t wear ’em. Just apply a little commonsense and be aware that we’re pretty low in the hierachy of the road. Cars are built for collision, we’re not.

13. Nina on November 17th at 6:47 am

Nice article, Jeanne. I am very hard of hearing (completely deaf in one ear, part-deaf in the other). Even when I’m not wearing headphones, I don’t hear cars as they approach. I don’t hear birds, wind, or oncoming cyclists, for that matter. I don’t run with my hearing aid because the sweat gets in it and the dampness is not good for it. I compensate as best I can by running in a low-traffic, low-speed-limit area, running against traffic, and moving well off the road whenever a car is in sight.

I’m not completely deaf, though, and I love music (I’m a musician) and I love listening to podcasts. They definitely enhance that state of bliss that comes with having a good run, and they help me keep going when I’m having a not-so-good run. I probably wear headphones on 80% of my outdoor runs, though I don’t listen to them the entire time. I don’t see that headphones make much difference for me, since I can’t hear anything anyway. 🙂

I figure I’ve been lucky so far. I actually quit running one route I was using because there are a lot of stores on the road and I got tired of constantly slowing down to look both ways to ascertain if any cars were ready to pull in or out of the parking lot.

This comment has really gotten rambly, so I’ll end it now!

14. mia on November 17th at 8:31 am

I think this is the weirdest issue. Ever. I am blown away when I peak in at running forums and people are coming unglued about running with headphones. And I’ll tell you what galls me. People always start off with the “safety issue” (on which I call bs, by the way) but then it quickly degenerates into that’s-not-real-running territory. To which I say: Speak for yourself. If *you* prefer to run without headphones, good on ya. If *you* think you get better results, better bio-feedback, better whatever it is you’re seeking, good on ya. But *you* don’t get to tell every single runner about *their* experience. Do your thing. Let other people do theirs.

grrrr. Great article, Jeanne, by the way! Got me riled. 🙂

15. bold on November 17th at 9:55 am

it’s a personal choice.

maybe, we should all remove our radios/CD/mp3 players from our cars too…

if i stopped wearing tuneage on a treadmill, we’d have to think of a better term than dreadmill, like say ‘deadmill’.

16. Runners High on November 17th at 2:19 pm

I enjoyed reading everyone’s comments. I have to say that I run with headphones and I couldn’t imagine going out without them. The whole safety issue is a great one, but as mentioned – to take that and turn it into a discussion about headphones making people not-true-runners is ridiculous.

Headphones or not, people are running. I think either way its great! I’ve just started running about 4 years ago and I must say this is a competitive sport. Just returning to it from a hiatus, I can’t believe that with so much else out there to debate & discuss that runners (elite at that) spend their time putting down other runners for using headphones.

I say, whatever works for you, you do. I enjoy music on a treadmill and most of the time outside. Music is something that can bring your mind and body to a new place. Without that music, I’m not sure I would have ever felt ‘runners high’ in the first place and probably would have not continued the sport.

Thanks everyone for your comments, they made me feel better & ‘okay’ about running with my mp3 player. I may not be an elite athlete, but I feel through running I have a shot at being some sort of athlete.

~Rock on while running~

17. Dawn on the Run » My Dog Loves Me on November 17th at 7:28 pm

[…] I guess my little dog, Xena, really wanted me to be safe. Today she jumped up on the bed beside me and when I wasn’t looking she chewed off the left ear piece of my headset. Now when I run I can only use one ear. Perhaps my dog has read Jeanne’s piece on Running With Headphones … As Bad as Running With Scissors? […]

18. anita on November 17th at 10:11 pm

Jeanne,
    Awesome article! The safety issue. Someone can be just as oblivious to their surroundings without music as with it. Not a real runner because you have headphones on? Please. Ten miles is still ten miles, whether accompanied by the sound of birdies or the sound of Sting. My opinion on the headphone debate is that it’s one of those little areas of life where people need to lighten up and chill.

19. booyaa dot org» Blog Archive » Link roll estravangza! on November 18th at 5:28 am

[…] Huh?!? The CRN’s Jeanne has written a great piece arguing for and against wearing headphones whilst running. I’d also recommend Blaine’s blog post response. […]

20. Keith on November 19th at 5:25 pm

For me, the biggest reason I don’t run with headphones is that I’m surrounded by a wealth of ambient noise throughout the day. Running is an escape, and a chance to enjoy the relative quiet of the countryside I run in.

21. Perry on November 19th at 9:09 pm

I run with headphones and I don’t want to stop. This is after running (and training) for 9 marathons without headphones. To me it is just a more efficient use of my time. I can read a book (audio) and run.

As for the safety issue, I run with one headphone in and one out. This works fine for me and I do all my running in the city of Chicago.

22. Rose on November 23rd at 5:35 pm

Interesting article, Jeanne.

My take is that if I want to run with earpods (and I do on long runs) that’s my business. Music helps me pace myself, breaks the boredom and blocks out some of the traffic noise (although sometimes the traffic is so loud it drowns out the music). I usually don’t turn it on for the first few miles or so and don’t take it along on night runs. Those are my choices. It would never occur to me that I should force my choice on another runner.

Your example is interesting:

Q. Well, who DOES run with headphones?

Are we expected to believe that we should be worrying about muggers, traffic and bikers on the track and at the races? Please.

I wonder if the anti-ipod running police think that taking cd players out of cars would cut down on car jackings or bouncing muzak from quick marts will lessen the chance of armed robberies in these businesses.

The comments about oblivious “non-music” runners are right on. I have seen runners, who obviously considered themselves to be “real” runners, without headphones, dart across traffic without looking, run abreast in the street blocking the oncoming lane and otherwise engaging in unsafe (and rude) behavior. Oh, and these people who think they have been appointed to determine who a “real” runner is need to get over themselves. Whether I am a “real” runner or a “fake” runner, I don’t have to explain myself to anyone when I take to the streets.

23. booyaa dot org» Blog Archive » Link rolling rolling rolling… on November 25th at 3:20 am

[…] Ed@a viking, running has a hillarious take on running with headphones. […]

24. Podophile.com on November 28th at 3:11 pm

First off, great article.

I initially started running without headphones, despite being an iPod enthusiast, having read so many articles on the importance of clearing your mind of distractions and focusing on your pace, your breathing, etc.

Then the Nike+iPod Sport Kit came out, and to get the full benefit of the device you need to wear headphones. You know what? It was so much easier to run my regular 5k distance with the music than without. I wish I had been using music since the beginning.

That being said, I always keep the volume low and make sure I can hear traffic and people around me. An over-the-ear headphone works better for this than the in-ear “buds.”

25. Back Away From the Headphones, Ma’am » Complete Running Network on April 9th at 8:03 am

[…] might find the course both quieter and noisier. (You may remember that CompleteRunning wrote about this very subject a while […]

26. 2007 University of Pittsburgh Campus Classic 5K @ Ales Rarus on April 18th at 1:55 pm

[…] the course being long, my actual 5K time would be just under 25 minutes, a personal best. P.S. I used my iPod. What are you going to do about it? Funky […]

27. 2007 Just a Short Run Half Marathon @ Ales Rarus on April 18th at 1:56 pm

[…] I used my iPod. What are you going to do about it? Funky […]

28. barry jordan on February 23rd at 5:49 pm

I run with headphones and it’s amazing how an intelligent person can hear music and gather his or her thoughts at the same time!

29. jonathan on February 25th at 7:56 am

When I am out cycling, quite often runners pull out onto the road in front of me without looking.

It is a common mistake these days to look with your ears rather than your eyes.

Putting headphones on removes the ears but not the temptation to look with them…

jonathan’s last blog post..Pose running or chi Running?

30. The Sound of Silence : Complete Running Network on April 7th at 5:25 pm

[…] has tackled this topic before: here and […]

31. Mike on May 1st at 6:35 pm

I have not heard of anyone getting hurt while wareing a headset.
    I have been to many races in which people wore ipods without any incidence.
    I agree that you can be attacked if your wearing a headset, but it happens without it.
    As far as being serious, you want to be serious while your racing, then go right ahead. For those who wnat to stirke up a convesration, maybe people don’t wnat to be flappin their jaw, If they wanted to they would not wear it.

What are you stupid anyway, would you walk into a library when someone was trying to read and start talking.

Why don’t you guys just leave those who want to wear headsets alone already.
    Your probably the same crack pots who drive listeing to the radio or even talking on a cell phone.

If your really worried about safety, stay of the roads when you run, you might get hit by a car!

As far as the lady with the headphones getting hit by a train,,, I run the tracks and I have yet to see an animal dead cut in half ever with headsets on.

32. Steve on April 23rd at 1:55 am

So-called runners who wear earphones are much like irresponsible dog-owners who keep their dogs off lease and don’t clean up after them (and if you are a “real” runner, you have had MANY run-ins with dog owners).  They cause a lot of problems for runners and are quite selfish and unaware that they are ruining the experience and sometimes endangering others all for thier own convenience.  Try talking politely to an irresponsible dog owner whos dog has just bit you, or an ipod “runner” who doesn’t hear you yell “trail!” or is just making a nuisance of themselves…they all come back with the same defensive, self-righteous attitude that it is somehow YOUR fault for being too sensitive or a jerk.  Having a forum or discussion about ipod-listening fake runners will get you nowhere.  DO you notice that they all excuse themselves with anecdotal “evidence” such as “I’ve never seen anyone get hurt” or “no ones’s ever complained.”  You tend to find what you’re looking for in an argument and fake runners are looking for  what they always look for…a good time and an artificial ego/performance boost at the expense of real runners and the integrity of the sport.  SInce anecdotes seem to be the currency readed around this forum, here’s one for ipod listeners to chew on…my dear friend Trudy Thomas was struck and killed by a car two years ago while running with headphones.  All it takes is one death of a person you know to see hoe assinine ipods are while running.  I promise you, no real runner uses them.  No real runner whould let a friend use them.  No real race would let you compete with them.  No real runner will ever respect you with those things in your ear.  If you need them to run, then runnings not what you’re after.  Running has never and will never be about distraction or adreneline or multitasking.  Running is about using the road/trail and your legs to figure out your head and what this life is about.  Wear your ipod to a sermon or a lecture or a movie or while talking to a loved one or proposing to yor sweatheart and you start to understand exactly what you’re doign when you wear an ipod on a run.  You could have learned something, felt something, bettered your life, or fallen in love.  But you traded it for a beat and nonsense lyrics and the opportunity to be an antisocial, poser, ignorant, selfish, fake, arrogant, and unmotivated prick.

33. Ana on May 11th at 4:17 pm

As a super beginner , I’ll confess that I did run with my headphones on. Yet during my first run I decided to take them off for a while to listen.  It was different, you realize where you are, what you are doing, and more importantly why.  I vote to no headphones as well, but I don’t agree with a crazy paragraph with insults about the subject.  Never will everyone agree on everything.  Let it be.

34. Michelle on May 17th at 1:00 pm

I always wear headphones on runs. I remember my running days before I got my iPod, most runs were brutal. Now it’s actually fun, kind of like dancing sometimes. If I ran outside in a bad neighborhood and/or at night, I might leave them at home, but I run on a treadmill most of the time. I feel pretty safe to crank up the volume and jam out.

Usually, the only time I don’t use the treadmill is when I do races, which are also pretty safe, since there are generally anywhere between 60 to a few hundred people in them with me.

35. Mel on July 22nd at 6:06 am

Funny, I just found this via google because I am running my first half marathon and I was intimidated when I saw that headphones were discouraged (not banned). This is one of those where there will be entertainment along the course, so that soothes me a bit, but I’m pretty specific in what I like to listen to and what helps me keep my pace. I’m fairly new to running, I’ve been doing it for maybe a year now. To be honest, I didn’t love it until I was given the ipod and I can barely imagine running without it. I do keep it to fairly low levels, and I manage to run in Boston very safely. You can listen to music and still be fully aware and likewise you can not have music and still be in a complete daze.

36. Ex-purist on January 21st at 8:18 am

Although there is much value to what this article says, I disagree with your comrades who state:

“We can tell you who does NOT—runners who are serious about their training and racing leave the headphones home. Not at the track, not on the trail and not at the races.”

Do the likes of Ryan Hall, Josh Cox, or Hal Koener ring any bells? All of these athletes use headphones and take their training seriously. I would like to see their 20-30mpw butt toe the line.

Yes, headphones may be unsafe. They may disconnect you from your running. But they can be an invaluable training tool.

37. mat on April 18th at 12:14 pm

I never use headphones. For my money, running is about more than exercise.

I realize that most readers of this post will disagree, you are entitled, but these are not your reasons, they are mine. I feel that they have been neglected in the above discussion.

1. The tempos of the songs must impose themselves into your pace. I like to pace myself to how I feel rather than a song.
    2. There is a lot of good thinking time in a run, which a podcast or book or song would seem to eliminate. Sure you can think of something else, but then why use the ipod?
    3. It is just another thing to carry with you. I hate carrying my keys, let alone a rather heavy piece of tech with things dangling all about, fussing with volume, changing songs, adjusting, etc.
    4. If I do need music, I will just listen to it in my head. This may be something that is not an option available to many people.
    5. Yes, it does seem dangerous to me. Not like being a lion tamer dangerous, but more dangerous than not using them.
    6. I do not want to be distracted from my task. I love that it is hard. I love that it is lonely. I love the fact that I can run 5, 10, 26.2 miles with nothing but my shoes, my wits, a couple public drinking fountains, and maybe one of those energy packs. Yes, clothes too. And nobody go to the shoeless thing… just don’t go there.

Yes, I know it’s crazy, but it’s my kind of crazy.

38. Herr Geist on May 7th at 3:08 am

To think that runners who don’t use headphones cannot be injured or killed while running is absolute idiocy. Someone used the death of a headphone runner as an example as to why it’s a bad idea. I’ve lived all over this world and in many cities and I have heard of many runners who were mowed down by cars, trains or even fell from very high places because they weren’t paying attention. I heard about some of them on the news, sure, but most of them were word of mouth through running circles. Wanna know how many of them were “real runners” who didn’t wear headphones? Probably about 80% of them.

It is absolute arrogance and nothing else that drives these “real runners” to such a hard stance on a simple subject. What’s simple about it? This.

Any person can get hurt in any circumstance at any time regardless of what they’re doing. To think otherwise is foolish. There have been people run over by cars in their very own living rooms while watching television! Does it happen a lot? No. Can it happen? Well, it has. So obviously it can.

I run with headphones. I am always aware of my surroundings. I can hear everything going on around me. If someone speaks to me, I can hear them. If someone yells from a distance, my head turns. Why? Because headphones don’t necessarily make you deaf to the world. I’ve seen runners out there not wearing headphones trip over things or run into other pedestrians because they simply weren’t paying attention. I’ve seen the same from people wearing headphones. I’d say it’s about 50/50. So this whole debate is pure crap.

It comes down to attentive vs non-attentive people. Headphones might play some small part in it, but all I need to see is one “real runner” do something so stupid as to run into traffic or knock over a mother with a stroller to think “Wow, I wear headphones and I’ve never done that.”

“Real runners”. Claiming a title like that simply for the fact that you don’t wear headphones? haha. Are you serious? A real runner is any runner who gets out there and works hard to be the best runner they can be while simultaneously enjoying what they do. Oh…. and other serious athletes, not just runners, mostly train with music. Whoever said they don’t is lying to make a case that isn’t really worth debating in the first place.

I’m gonna go read a book without glasses so I can be a “real reader”. Have fun, kids.

39. Cabinfever on May 28th at 2:40 pm

Can we not mind our own business and let people do what they want?

40. Madison O. Howe on October 1st at 11:54 pm

Running with headphones on can be very enjoyable especially when you are out there alone. Music can be your best buddy while running, just make sure that your surroundings are safe, so that you can prevent possible mishaps. Many thanks. 🙂

41. Madison O. Howe on October 1st at 11:56 pm

.-= Madison O. Howe´s last blog ..ATH-ANC7 – Audio Technica Headphones Review =-.