The 25 Best Running Product Innovations

Posted by Filed Under: Gear & Apparel, GPS & Mapping, Outerwear

Forerunner.jpgRunning has come along way since 1000 B.C. Many running products that we use everyday have become quite commonplace and even taken for granted. This post is a “dedication” to the great running products that were invented and produced to make our sport that much more enjoyable. Please, in the comments, add to my list any innovative running gear that you feel is missing!

1. The running shoe
  2. Body lubrication (e.g. BodyGlide and Vaseline)
  3. Technical material for shirts, shorts, and hats. ( e.g. Coolmax and DryZone)
  4. The running bra
  5. Reflective material, e.g. 3M and IllumiNITE
  6. Lycra and Spandex material
  7. Portable music (e.g. tape, cd, mp3 players)
  8. The chronograph (stopwatch)
  9. The heart rate monitor
  10. GPS and other distance/pace tracking systems
  11. Water bottle carrier (belt)
  12. Ibuprofen
  13. The running baby stroller
  14. Yak-trax
  15. The fuel belt
  16. Power drinks, power gels, energy bars, recovery drinks, etc.
  17. Insulated underwear
  18. Running socks
  19. Sweat proof sunscreen
  20. Lip balm
  21. Running knee and ankle braces
  22. Running sunglasses
  23. The hair elastic (my wife wanted that on the list)
  24. Hydration packs (e.g. Camelbak packs)
  25. Nip-guards and Band-aids

1. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on October 3rd at 11:18 am

Don’t forget pencil and paper for tracking your training.

2. DREW on October 3rd at 3:05 pm

Bodyglide is always mentioned whenever I read an article about chaffing relief products. Please people everywhere, pick up a roll-on bottle of Sportshield (from 2toms.com if you don’t have any at a store near you). You will NEVER have another chaffing problem and you’ll wonder, as I do, why people continue to buy and mention bodyglide. This is the one and only running related product I have ever endorsed.

(I have NO connection with sportshield or 2toms.com).

3. Danielle in Iowa on October 3rd at 8:29 pm

I would add the visor to that list and, to counter Blaine, computer running logs sure do make the math of keeping track of miles a lot easier!

I don’t know – Body Glide has worked just dandily for me for over a year… I mean it works and it is what my local store carries…

4. warren on October 3rd at 8:45 pm

Body Glide is biodegradable, which is relevant when you’re, say, going swimming in a pristine lake with it on.

Having nipguards below 1 seems skewed, somehow, to me. *shudders*

5. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on October 4th at 6:44 am

Danielle, it may have made it easier, but it wasn’t really an innovation; it was just an improvement on an existing technology. Heheh.

6. thodarumm on October 4th at 7:37 am

Well, I was always a sweatpant and big, loose t-shirt gal for exercising. But I recently decided to buy fitness clothing and I don’t want to run in a regular t-shirt ever again. But, I just love love my Champion Sports Bras, high MCR (never did know the importance of these as I am petite and deemed it unnecessary.

Would love to hear more about the YAKTRAX as I love running enough to brave the elements now.

7. Runners-only » De 25 bedste løbe-opfindelser i verdenen. on February 3rd at 5:56 am

[...] 25 best running product-innovations [...]