Via YouTube: Julie Moss Competing in the 1982 Hawaii Ironman Triathlon

Posted by Filed Under: Inspiration & Motivation, Video

inspirationA classic piece of unbelievable determination as demonstrated by Julie Moss. As the announcer in this video said, Ironman hasn’t been the same since.

About Mark Iocchelli

Also known as the "Running Blogfather", I'm a 40-something marathoner who has beaten stress fractures and terrible shin splints. Now I'm running double the mileage with no pain - and I'm getting faster. I love to talk about running form and Arthur Lydiard. I also enjoy taking photographs, have a beautiful (and very patient!) wife, and am the proud father of two crazy kids. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about the site.

1. RunDave on September 16th at 1:56 am

Holy shit! I’ve got goosebumps just watching that. So excruciating to see her get up and fall so many times and then crawl over the line. Amazing stuff! How did she ever recover from that?

2. Meg on September 16th at 10:41 am

This was one of the most difficult things I have ever watched. Wow.

3. Jeanne on September 16th at 11:07 am

thanks for making me cry! again. unbelievable.

4. Running Jayhawk on September 17th at 2:19 pm

Wow…

5. 21stCenturyMom on September 17th at 8:09 pm

There’s a woman who swims with my masters group who had to crawl across the line in Kona. She took 3rd or 4th. I guess when you have gone that far and are almost winning you just don’t stop.

6. 21stCenturyMom on September 17th at 8:32 pm

Here is the story of 2 women who had to crawl across the line in Kona. The story of Julie Moss’s 1982 finish is referred to. All of these women are quite amazing with their tenacity and determination.

7. The Will to Go On » Complete Running Network on June 30th at 6:00 am

[...] but still managed to claw and crawl her way across the mats to take 2nd place. Watch this feat of unparalleled determination and inspiration as caught on film by ABC [...]