Why Running Is the Best!

Posted by Filed Under: Inspiration & Motivation

running wisdomFor over last three years I have had a chronic knee injury which has limited me to running shorter distances (about 10 miles per week). This is quite a quite a decline for me as I was sometimes running more than 40 miles per week when I was training for marathons. Due to my knee surgery and pain that has followed to present day, I have had to engage in other activities to remain fit. Activities such as swimming, weight lifting, and biking are now part of my weekly routine. And, even though cross training has its inherent benefits, for me, no activity can come close to the benefits of running.

So, this got me thinking, “why is running such a great sport?” Here are my top 10 reasons why no other activity can compete with running. While some other activities may share a few characteristics with running, no other pursuit has them all.

1. No membership, gym, or running fees. Running is free (I put this number one because I am very cheap).
  2. Convenience. All you have to do is step out your front door and you are ready to go.
  3. Variety. You can run a different route everyday anywhere on our beautiful planet.
  4. Minimal equipment needed. All you need is a pair of running shoes, and if you are running on the beach you don’t even need those.
  5. No seasonal limitations. You can run at any temperature, any terrain, at any time of the year.
  6. Very social. With your running partner or group, you get to talk, laugh, and listen the entire time, plus it’s a great way to meet new people.
  7. Lots of toys. A great amount of high tech running clothes, shoes and electronic gadgets to spend your money on (money you saved from #1).
  8. Great exercise. Can’t forget this. Running is a great way to get your heart rate up and get in and stay in shape.
  9. No seasonal limitations. You can run at any temperature, any terrain, at any time of the year.
  10. It’s free. Yes that was worth mentioning twice!
  11. The rain. If you have ever been running and then got caught in a nice gentle rain, you know there is no better place to be.

I’d like to make a top 20 list, but I need your help. What would be on your list?

1. David Smith on September 14th at 2:48 am

Put number 11 in twice, one of my best ever runs involved a massive rain shower on a hot evening…. still remember it now 12 years later

2. chickenrun on September 14th at 3:46 am

It is boring as hell, and then helps to be in peace with yourself as you spend endless hours thinking around the same stuff

3. Jeanne on September 14th at 5:39 am

Weight loss. ’nuff said.

4. Blaine Moore (Run to Win) on September 14th at 6:19 am

If running led to weight loss for me, there’d be nothing left. When I want to gain weight I usually have to up my mileage; if I stop running I lose weight like it’s going out of style.

5. Dianna on September 14th at 7:18 am

Goals: you can set all types of goals to strive for…time, distance, days per week, pounds lost. Variety: each run can be different…tempo, speedwork, hills, long, short, trails, treadmill, with partner(s), without partner(s)…and the combinations seem limitless!

6. Bob on September 14th at 7:19 am

The Runners High

7. Mark Iocchelli on September 14th at 8:56 am

Bob: Runner’s high simply can’t be beat. Wish I could get to it more often.

David: Running in the rain is heavenly.

8. 21stCenturyMom on September 14th at 1:21 pm

I don’t run in the rain so I’ll have to disagree with that with the added information that where I live rain always means cold.

What I love about running is that it gives me time to listen to audio books or just be alone to think freely without interruption.

I also think ‘runners high’ should be listed 3 or 4 times.

9. Anne on September 14th at 1:38 pm

It’s cheaper than professional therapy.

10. Jeanne on September 14th at 2:15 pm

the only runners’ high i’ll ever experience is if someone first loads me up with … chemicals!

11. Dawn - Pink Chick on September 15th at 7:14 pm

Running on snow covered trails and making snow angels when you’re done. Running makes me feel like a kid again.

Great list Aaron.

12. 10 Pet Peeves about Running » Complete Running Network on September 27th at 5:32 pm

[...] If you read my last article, 10 Reasons why Running is the Best, you may at this point be very confused. How could I do such a “flip-flop” in one week? Well, I am not being fickle, I do and will always love running, but lets all face it, there are some things about running that do “suck”. Here is my list. What have you got to add? [...]